Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanRamirez57

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 75 gal saltwater tank with fish and coral and this is the only thing filtering the water other than the protein skimmer. seeing if anyone can tell me about it or not? When I got the tank it was established and I was told not to mess with it or change media?? I don't know if I buy that or not as my nitrates are always high.

DanRamirez57 said:
I have a 75 gal saltwater tank with fish and coral and this is the only thing filtering the water other than the protein skimmer. seeing if anyone can tell me about it or not? When I got the tank it was established and I was told not to mess with it or change media?? I don't know if I buy that or not as my nitrates are always high.

Here is the filter. Thanks

Attachments

• image-2805864819.jpg
    image-2805864819.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 56
Personally I'm not a fan of canister filters for SW tanks. I prefer natural filtration assisted with a good Skimmer.

I use a Refugium with sand, LR and macro algae along with a lot of LR in the tank and a good skimmer to maintain my tank. I also advocate frequent PWCs for your system.

Have a look at my thread (in my signature) and read through some of the things I do and have done to maintain my system.

I have an extra 15 gal tank that I want to make a sump with but I lack the funds for an overflow box and don't want to drill my tank. It's a work in progress. I have a HOB Skimmer that will fit perfectly in the 15 gal.

I have an extra 15 gal tank that I want to make a sump with but I lack the funds for an overflow box and don't want to drill my tank. It's a work in progress. I have a HOB Skimmer that will fit perfectly in the 15 gal.

Nothing wrong with that. We all have to start out somewhere! Take your time and plan things out and you will be fine. Check ebay and craigslist for used equipment. I've gotten a lot of things from both. Also if you have a local club join it people are always selling and getting rid of things in this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom