Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #181
AA Team Emeritus

gotcha - thanks, just wasn't familiar with the acronym. Lots of options out there, I usually find my choices limited by what is regionally available. Post up a new picture of the scape when you get a chance. Lots of fun watching new builds evolve.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #182
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Here it is. I decided I wanted to see from the side and the front. Since the back and left side are against a wall, there wasn't much point in utilizing any of that space. So, I left the front and right side open so I can see the fish.

And, the coolest invert ever!

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #183
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Here it is. I decided I wanted to see from the side and the front. Since the back and left side are against a wall, there wasn't much point in utilizing any of that space. So, I left the front and right side open so I can see the fish.

And, the coolest invert ever!
I like the new rockscape! Nice job! I will most likely do something somewhat similar for my 125g.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #184
AA Team Emeritus

Looks good; I like the open ness on the right hand side. Have you considered doing more of a cove style build rather than the mound? Maybe arching the bottom portion and as you build up, creating more of an overhang effect?

I would tend to think you're liable to have debris build-up inside that mound and that will likely start causing some issues with algae down the road.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #185
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

That was my original plan, the cove look. But, for whatever reason, I decided against it. Despite the picture, it's pretty open underneath. For the most part, it's a few base pieces with two flat pieces on top, then a few scattered here and there.

I saw a tank at a LFS here in town that appeared to be a 60ish gallon column. They had rock all the way up the back wall, and at the bottom, it was just maybe 6" from the glass. All you could see was rock and coral, then fish would just randomly pop out of the rock work. I liked that look and that's what I went for. Would a really small powerhead aimed in the middle of the rock at the bottom be a good idea? I have an extra minijet 606.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #186
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think it would hurt - anyway you can place the powerhead inside the mound so the flow is being pushed out?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #187
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That would be a PITA to maintain once you've got it wedged in there.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #188
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'm certainly open to changing it up again. Would be easier now than once I get coral and more inverts in there. Despite having it look how I want it, I can see how it would be a pain to clean if it builds up in there. The more I set this up, the more I kind of wish I had chosen another place to put this, where I could do a remote refugium, remote sump, etc. Hindsight.... you know what they say about that.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #189
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
That would be a PITA to maintain once you've got it wedged in there.
Yes and no. Based on the description of the rock, it should be a simple matter of removing a cap rock to gain access to the pump. Additionally, what I've found to be the case is that pumps located in and under the rock work required considerably less maintainence than those that are out and exposed to light. They grow/accumulate considerably less algae and debris. While it would be somewhat more difficult, I've generally found that it is worth the little extra effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I'm certainly open to changing it up again. Would be easier now than once I get coral and more inverts in there. Despite having it look how I want it, I can see how it would be a pain to clean if it builds up in there. The more I set this up, the more I kind of wish I had chosen another place to put this, where I could do a remote refugium, remote sump, etc. Hindsight.... you know what they say about that.
Yep, I know what you mean. Seems like everytime I set-up a tank or system I'm always finding ways in which it could have been improved or done better. Try to incorperate those into the next build, but there are always new ways to improve. Interestinly enough, a recent article I read really got me thinking about simplicity again. Seems like there are so many new gadgets etc. that are out there any more - supposedly designed to make our lives easier, and yet I think back to the very first tank I set up and it was by far the easiest and probably the most successful. Didn't get amazing growth rates or anything with it, but it was stable, enduring, the life was happy, and it didn't require constant maintainence.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #190
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I am going to start working on a new sump this weekend. I'm going with a 29g instead of a 20 long. Same footprint, just more volume. I like the size of the chambers I did on this 20 long, so I will probably keep them similarly sized. The one thing I am changing is the refugium. Instead of having it in the middle, I'm going to put it on the right side, and have it about 2" from the top of the tank. This will give me more volume so I can have more rock in there. I'd like to get a nice pod population, as well as have the room for macro algae. While I'd love to set up a remote refugium, with a DSB and all, I don't see that being an option. I could cut a hole in the wall and put another tank where the ATO reservoir is, but then I'd need to buy another pump, drill the tank, etc. Just more work than I'm ready to do. Not saying that down the road I won't do that, since it won't have any effect on the tank at all. I will have to tear down the tank do replace the sump. The doors just aren't wide enough, and there's a center brace. Bad idea putting a 30" sump in a 36" tank. I've learned to expect the unexpected, but I still need to work on expecting things... particularly those that are unexpected.

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com