Finally - 40 Breeder Reef Journal/Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hahaha ok, im asking out of ignorance not insolence, but will a mesh bag allow coralline to spread but keep all those nasties in?

Well, I have no idea... But I am going to scrape some, mix it in water, turn off the pumps, and spread it out through the tank... see how that works out. Who knows.

When you get it, you can crush it with a hammer and then scatter the pieces/rubble around the tank.

I'll have to consider that!

Here's where we stand tonight... Got my skimmer and two bulbs in. I chose to start with two bulbs so I can figure out the color combination I want. I got a blue plus and aquablue special. I really like the color. Not too blue, but not too white. I think I'll probably skip the purple plus and just stick with a 1:1 ratio of each. I'm going to have to build a small 'shelf' out of PVC and egg crate to sit my skimmer up a little bit off the bottom of the sump. It's too deep without doing so, and putting it in my return section isn't an option (just checked.. WAY too many microbubbles. I'm farily confident that I'm going to just go to a glass shop and have some pieces cut and build another sump. It's going to be rough getting this one out, I'll have to take the center section off the stand to squeeze it out. I'll also have to drain the sump and utilize some buckets. I'm going to re-do the return plumbing while I'm at it, because I'm simply not satisfied. I guess I jumped the gun a bit when I set this up... and I can still re-do it, it's just going to be a little more difficult. Lucky for me, I have several buckets and several empty 10g tanks laying around that I can utilize for this. My problem is that I built the sump all wrong. I eyeballed everything and the baffles just aren't spaced out how I want them. I guess that's the joy of learning as you go. So, without any further interruption, here are some pics...

img_1703995_0_c2235a49deb5e40c2e202e27f8d24ea3.jpg

img_1703995_1_5c00c7058a9dead6b7bdc5e50435f2de.jpg

And the skimmer (temporarily where its at)

img_1703995_2_1e965f1a5d1238e3160f5cb5ff9fdee0.jpg

And, where the overflow comes in

img_1703995_3_9a80b370749cbe6b20a84720a095e14b.jpg

I want to add that I fully plan on measuring before I cut when I re-do the plumbing... I'm sure all the extra joints in the plumbing make it obvious that I just eyeballed it, then fixed it where it was too long or too short. I'm thinking this is going to be a Tuesday project.

I just, somehow, talked my wife in to letting me get a reefkeeper... I'm asking no questions as to why she didn't push back much. I assume I'll pay for it somehow, but I'm super excited. High tech, here I come.

Your wife has something she wants. Either that or she wrecked the car and will hand you the rkl and then tell you. JK. My wife bought me a ro/di out of the blue the other day. I'm still trying to figure out why. Good score though. You will have to give me a review. I can't decide which one I want. How did you settle on the rkl?

That is a good deal. I will look into it. Thanks. Does it come with the probes?

The tank looks great. Is your base rock epoxied together or just stacked? I'm just a bit worried about the upper pieces, depending on what you end up with in the tank.

Crushing some LR to get coralline algae in the tank and start spreading is a great idea. Just adding some LR for biodiversity is also a good idea. Pick up a few pieces at the lfs and you may get some coralline without any of the nasty hitchhikers.

I'm opting for the Apex JR and returning the RKL I just got. The built in webserver that will text/email me and the ease of setup changed my mind.

Good luck and keep posting.

Rock isn't glued together simply because I'm not 100% sure that I'll like this scape later down the road. I've already decided to pull the sump and re-do it, so the chances of changing up the rock work are very high. Once I settle on a good combo, I'll probably put a little epoxy in for good measure. It's really stable though, even if it doesn't look it. I fit ever piece in to make sure that it held good.

I've looked at the apex, but I really like how the RKL/RKE is set up. It seems more user friendly, and has free software. It also has the ability to connect in to the internet, though I've not gotten that far in to my research. I actually started a thread on controllers in the hardware/equipment forum to weigh out my options. Any input you have there would be appreciated.

I found a guy who will sell me LR for $3/lb... the only LFS that has LR locally sells it for $12.99/lb and it is COVERED in hair algae and who knows what else.

On an unrelated note, my tank has evaporated 15 gallons in 7 days. There aren't any leaks (trust me, I have looked), which is why I find it very odd that it's evaporating that much. My total volume is somewhere between 50 and 55 gallons. My fw tanks in the basement don't evap nearly that much!

That's a lot of evaporation. I like the rock work, +1 for using epoxy or rods (driveway markers) to hold it together once you like it.

Way too much evaporation. That's about what I get in my 125. My 45 gallon RODI ATO container lasts 3 - 4 weeks.

Is the environment especially dry? Dehumidifier running? Anything like that?

I'll take a look at your controller thread as your findings seem opposite mine. The RKL ethernet option is quite expensive whereas it's part of the Apex JR. But, let me find that thread and post there.

I like the rock work design, but I changed mien several times in the first couple years. And once again when I had to remove it all to remove all fish for a Hyposalinity treatment. That was not fun.

My house is 3 stories, and it's on the top floor. My basement tanks don't evap like that, but the humidity in the basement is really high, I'm sure. No dehumidifier upstairs. Maybe I have too much surface agitation? I know it's evap, because the SG has remained 1.026 since I originally got it set. I might try setting up the humidifier and see if that helps.

I agree that a humidifier in the room may help. Just make sure the mist doesn't make it into the tank. Maybe if you used RODI water you wouldn't need to worry about the chemicals from the tap water getting into the tank.

How about mold? Are you having any issues with that in that room? I'm having a mold problem with my tank, but it's understandable with the water volume, but if you are evaporating that much, i would think you'd see something.

It's at the top of the stairs, so it's not really in a room exactly. It's just on the landing and the living room, kitchen, dining room, etc are all below with no doors or anything sealing it off. I think that could be part of the problem. I've actually considered putting a glass top on it, since there's plenty of gas exchange with the sump... just not sure how I like the idea of covering a tank.

Is there carpet in that area, and if so do you have static electricity (too dry).

Could be the open area near the top of the house with a lot of hot air movement. That's still a lot of evaporation for that size tank.

Yeah, it's carpeted, but never noticed any increase in static compared to anywhere else. I will say that while I was gone (Sat morning through this afternoon), I didn't have any evap, my water level was right at the bottom of the 'teeth' on the overflow... but, I turned my mag7 off because I haven't made a bracket for my ATO yet, so I can't use it. I was afraid it would get too low and start sucking air. I'm thinking it's from all the bubbles that come up from the overflow. I wonder if raising the pipe and running a 45 so that the pipe slopes in to the sump, but half is covered, half isn't would work? Would that be too loud I wonder? Would be easy enough to test I guess. I have a rubber post-construction connection on it to make it easy to take on and off. I've got plenty of pipe and would just need a couple 45's to test it out.

Back
Top Bottom