Finally - 40 Breeder Reef Journal/Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My sump also fills to within a few inches of the top of the sump. I always hold my breath when I shut down the system, LOL, I know it won't overflow but it's still in the back of my mind. I also keep my tank the least full I can, I have my overflow as far down as it can go and I just keep the water level right above that.

As a further backup you can add a check valve in the return pump section, it won't let ANY water back siphon. I got mine at home depot for like $7. Between that and the holes in my output I feel pretty good about it all.

:-D

Looks good Jonathan! Actually an extra 1" of room at the top of the sump after everything drains is more than good. You're never going to have the tank any fuller than that, so you've actually got an inch of room to spare. When mine drains, it actually fills the sump all the way to the top, but it doesn't overflow, which is all you need. By adjusting the height of the overflow itself (usually you can lower or raise with a PVC extension) you can increase or decrease the height of water in your DT, as well as the level to which your sump will fill when the return pump shuts down. Assuming you have something to stop the backflow of water through the return pipe.

Glass holes overflow?

Yeah, their 700gph kit

My sump also fills to within a few inches of the top of the sump. I always hold my breath when I shut down the system, LOL, I know it won't overflow but it's still in the back of my mind. I also keep my tank the least full I can, I have my overflow as far down as it can go and I just keep the water level right above that.

As a further backup you can add a check valve in the return pump section, it won't let ANY water back siphon. I got mine at home depot for like $7. Between that and the holes in my output I feel pretty good about it all.

:-D
I'd thought about a check valve, but after reading numerous suggestions that after a while, calcium, coraline, etc builds up and renders them useless, I decided against spending the money.

Looks good Jonathan! Actually an extra 1" of room at the top of the sump after everything drains is more than good. You're never going to have the tank any fuller than that, so you've actually got an inch of room to spare. When mine drains, it actually fills the sump all the way to the top, but it doesn't overflow, which is all you need. By adjusting the height of the overflow itself (usually you can lower or raise with a PVC extension) you can increase or decrease the height of water in your DT, as well as the level to which your sump will fill when the return pump shuts down. Assuming you have something to stop the backflow of water through the return pipe.

Good to know. I'm crossing my fingers that the sand gets here today, though I really need to start making some more water. Laziness, it's killin me.

Made some progress today..

img_1693865_0_a8569764cda310ab4ff02ec55263bea9.jpg

top down-
img_1693865_1_21de809320c0c067d5910d81ec53cf16.jpg

Sump-
img_1693865_2_ee62ac7bea818e04136baf2ce5ca4bdc.jpg

You are making progress. Pretty soon you'll be filling all those fw tanks with salt!

Ha... trust me... the thought has crossed my mind. I enjoy building tanks so much... just hate spending the cash.

Here's where we are right now. Should have the rest of the water in by bed time. Sand made it just a bit cloudy-

img_1695491_0_6fb81a5d40c3e987d7fc955c6df4c75a.jpg

One suggestion I would make is to move the rock wall out away from the back glass if at all possible. You're going to want to be able to reach in there and clean behind the rock, as debris will build up back there and you'll likely start having some algae issues down the road. Some like to keep their glass completely clean of coralline algae (never had that desire myself), if you're in that boat, your also going to want to have room to scrap behind that rock wall. Just something to consider.

I think I follow. I definitely do want coraline on the back... I'll probably end up getting some scrapings from someone local to seed it, as I am starting completely sterile. The bottom rocks aren't against the glass, just the top. With the powerheads going, there is no debris settling back there. I can see a few things that got left in the sand being pushed around, even coming from out back. I do want to test that out a little better though, as it'll be much easier to move them if needed now, than to wait. Appreciate the input.

Now, to quieten the mag 7. I was originally going to go with a quiet one, but everything I read said the mags were better pumps and considerably less bad reviews than the quiet one.

Do you have the pump sitting on a pad of some sort? Is it in the sump or outside? I had to use a piece of filter pad to set mine on and that quieted it down considerably, otherwise it was this really annoying vibration sound all the time.

I tried sitting it on some suction cups with no luck. I sent Mike a PM about using a mouse pad. I've seen someone recommend them, but I can't find the post to see if they recommend them in sump, or if that's only for external pumps. I don't have any filter pads laying around, but I can certainly pick some up if a mouse pad won't work.

I think I solved it. I cut a sponge filter down the side and put under it. Much better. With the doors shut, all I can hear is the overflow.

Yeah, I'm starting to wish I had gotten a quiet one. Mag's seem to be highly recommended though, which is why I opted for the mag drive. I might just get a quiet one before too long and sit this mag back for another build later on.

ROFL, I said that a number of years ago - numerous builds later, that mag is still sitting waiting for its "later build."

Other than the noisy return pump how are things progressing at this point?

They're progressing well... actually. I've got two shrimp dangling in a mesh bag to start the cycle. I can hardly hear the pump now. I put a short section of flexible tubing between two unions and that killed a LOT of the vibration.

My skimmer and bulbs will be in tomorrow. I've almost talked the wife in to letting me get a reefkeeper or something similar. So many toys.

Oh... and I'm going to be building a couple reactors for cheap. Found a good DIY plan that I like - http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197625

Another quick update... I just tested my ammonia... between .25 and .5ppm. This is moving right along. I'm picking up 10lbs of LR next week after I return from visiting family... I'm still undecided on whether I'm going to put it in mesh bags or not, to keep any critters that might be in the rock out of my tank.

critters are good for your tank. i get wanting to only have what you put in, but some things you just cant buy online or at the lfs.

Back
Top Bottom