Finding Nemo, Well Sort Of . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talenzmeier

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings!

I am in the midst of being seriously vexed! How on earth does a fish just disappear from a tank? I have a 75 gallon marine aquarium with 1 White Spotted Puffer, 4 Blue-Green Reef Chromis, 1 Flame Red Hawkfish, 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Gramma Basslet, and 1 Percula Clown. Now between Sunday and today, my Coral Beauty Angelfish has gone missing! I’ve lifted all the rock and no fish! I had a Purple Firefish that went the same way. If I didn’t know better, I’d say they were kidnapped. Finally, when I came home this evening one of my two Clowns lay dead on the bottom of the tank. :-( Needless to say, I’m somewhat in a panic. I immediately tested my water and came up with the following: Nitrite < 0.3, Nitrate = 2.5, Ammonia = 0, KH = 8, PH = 8.25. From all appearances, my water seems just fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Most likley it is not a predator or disease but from overstocking. A 75 gal is a little tight for that many fish and they could be killing each other. Have you ruled out the possibility or errant crabs or a mantis? Any new additions or suspicious happenings?

Cheers
Steve

After examination of the clown did he look like he had been attacked. That puffer fish is just concerning me a little. :wink:

Infection(s) . . .

I neglected to mention that the Yellow Tang has come down with some kind of infection. He has what looks to be red splotches on various parts of his anatomy. I'm treating with Myacin. He had this infection several weeks ago and I thought it was gone, but apparently not. By the way, I have no invertebrates. I do have about 35 to 40 pounds of Fiji live rock. Insofar as the number of fish, I'm actually down three now from what my LFS expert said was my max. additionally, I have superb biological filtration and I'm also running an Ocean Clear large micron filter.

Re: Infection(s) . . .

talenzmeier said:
I neglected to mention that the Yellow Tang has come down with some kind of infection. He has what looks to be red splotches on various parts of his anatomy. I'm treating with Myacin. He had this infection several weeks ago and I thought it was gone, but apparently not.
The red splotch's are caused by a bacterial infection that is brought about by poor living conditions. The amount of fish you have would lead to high DOC water and a stressful environment. The fact the tang has had this previously supports that. This is something that is easily rid of and usually without the use of meds. Imroved diet (herbavor preparations for a tang), improved water quality and reduced stress will usually allow the fish's natural immune system to kick it easily.

By the way, I have no invertebrates. I do have about 35 to 40 pounds of Fiji live rock. Insofar as the number of fish, I'm actually down three now from what my LFS expert said was my max. additionally, I have superb biological filtration and I'm also running an Ocean Clear large micron filter.
I hope you have treated the tangs in a seperate QT. Mayacin is an anti-biotic and will destroy you biological filter. Your 0.3 nitrite might be an indication of that ulness the test kit is not reporting it properly. Nitrite should be zero at all times. Don't rely too much on what your LFS has to say. Their main concern is you spending money not the health of your tank or animals.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom