Finger leather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudzie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this a finger leather or colt coral? Anyone know if they are difficult to frag?

image-2135161320.jpg

Mudzie said:
Is this a finger leather or colt coral? Anyone know if they are difficult to frag?

To me that looks like a finger leather. I have 1 but it's blue. I also have a red colt and it looks nothing like that. But on fragging it it's so easy. I got these scissors out of the fabric section in Walmart. The 1s that spring back open. U can pretty much frag which ever branches u want. Most people cut right along the stalk so when it heals it's smooth. I cut like 1/4in off the stalk so a new branch will grow from that nub. After u cut it u can stick it between 2 rocks and let it attach. But I run a piece of tread thru it with a needle and tie it were I want it to stay. In a few days it will attach. Hope this helps

Thanks, ive had good luck fragging xenia but i just put frag on piece of rubble with bridal veil rubber banded to rock didnt know if this would work on this leather? Maybe ill try a piece wedged bettween rock.

Thanks, ive had good luck fragging xenia but i just put frag on piece of rubble with bridal veil rubber banded to rock didnt know if this would work on this leather? Maybe ill try a piece wedged bettween rock.

In my tank I have a glass skull in the corner with rubble in it. That is usually were I throw my xenias and other little frags to keep them out of high flow. Or if I cut more then 1 I use part of an ice tray that I cut 4 squares out of. Just put very little rubble in each square and just throw the fragg in there. Once it attaches a piece of rubble to the frag then u can super glue it anywhere on any rock.

You can attach a fresh fragged leather a couple of ways one is putting in an area with low flow and a bunch of rubble, loosely rubber band it to a piece of rubble, take a needle and thread and run the thread through it the stock and tie it to the rubble, and the last I know of is to take a tooth pick and run it through the stock and then use a rubber band to hold it on each end of the toothpick looping it around the rock.

When you frag your leather it is best to take it out of the tank so when it releases it slime it doesn't get on other corals and irritate or kill them.

That is a finger leather I have one that needs to be fragged it is the size of a soccer ball when fully extended.

If i take the coral out to frag it should it be submerged in tank water while slime oozes off, wipe it?how long out of tank?? Thanks in advance.

What I do I remove it from the tank when I do a water change and use that water to let it set in. After I cut the frags off then I use revive to help with any sort of problem that might crop up. After researching I found something called coral rx that seems to be more recommended so when I run out of revive I will get the coral rx. Let the coral sit in it for about 15 minutes after it has been mounted then rinse in more water and place back in the tank. You can use a knife or scissors to frag leathers. I do it with whatever I have handy at the moment.

I thought the Coral Rx dip was todip the coral in it to rid them from parasites before putting in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom