Firefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklidkid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, i am interested in getting a firefish,I have a 55 gallon tank with 80 lbs or rock (50 live, 30 base.). I have 1 ocellaris clown , 1 algae blenny, a toadstool leather and some snails, emeralds and hermits. Wpuld a firefish work in this setup? Are they difficult to keep or have any special requirements? If anyone has any info or suggestions on this fish, it would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS.

I have a firefish in 29 gal. They are a wonderful fish to have, quite intriguing to watch and very colorful. They do have a tendency to hide in amongst the rocks, sometimes for quite extended periods of time, but when they are out they tend to hover around in the open water. Mine eats very well, although he is sometimes hassled a little during feeding by a pair of clowns I have... Long and the short is IMO they are a great addition to a tank (watch out they can and will jump!) :D

Ok, so they will actually jum put, there is about 1 inch of the top of my tank that is not covered, will this be a problem?

Tough call, i have a strip of about 2 inches by 30 inches not covered at the back of my tank, so far mine tends to hide when scared, rather than jump out. If you can cover the area with egg-crate or something similar it would definitly put your mind at rest (everyday if i can't see him usually there is a frantic search to make sure he didn't take the leap!! lol) he hasn't so far - although my longnose hawk used it as an exit!

Ok well ill try to get it covered, other than that is there anything else i need to know? Are they hardy fish? Thanks

I have three of them (very cool site all swimming together) and they do great. They are fed spirulina flake with occasional frozen brine or live. I also have a large number of amphipods in another tank i harvest and feed to them. My advice, make sure they have hiding spots, and nothing nippy in the tank. The clown should be fine, i have a maroon with mine. good luck, and HTH!!!

Cool sicklid kid i was thinking about getting a firefish to thanks for ansking a great question. And thanks guys for giving me the info to. Hope al goes good sicklid.

Your favorite newb Salty!!!

Ok thanks, i justed posted some new pics of my tank, i rearranged the rock. Will this be good for them?

I have a Purple Firefish.
Very colorful and always in full view,
At night he retrieves to a cave in the LR

Back
Top Bottom