First loss in new tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
As was the concern of several people on this site, I lost my red scooter blenny last night. I was warned by the smart people here after I bought it that it was not a good idea. I was assured by the LFS that it was eating prepared foods and that he would be ok. WRONG!! I 1. Will not go back to that LFS again and 2. Will take the advise of the awesome people at this site. So, I would like to get one more fish. What would be a good choice? I currently have an Algae blenny (will he be ok?), royal gramma, pair of percula clowns, and a cleaner shrimp. For corals I have a frogspawn, candy cane, torch, pulsing xenia and a GSP. It is a 29 gallon tank with 4 bulb t5ho, canister filter and 2 koralia 550 powerheads. Tank has been up for 6 weeks and cycled for 4 weeks. I would like something with some color and that will get along with my other fish. Readings in the tank are 0,0,5 and all other inhabitants are doing well. I feel like such an idiot that my trust in the LFS cost a beautiful fish its life. I should have trusted you and my gut. Sorry.:confused:

Imo your already pushing your stocking limits but if you were gonna add another id stick with a small goby or another type of nano fish

1 inch of fish per 10 gallons. 29 gallons and 3 fish. Sounds like a winning combo to me. If you ever lose one and looking for somethign new, chalk bass.

Yeah the rule doesn't seem to apply in saltwater tho the fish might be an inch when you get them but could be three full grown. The pair of clowns alone is enough.

Is the algae blenny eating? He should be fine...

I see him biting on the rocks and the glass. He is plump. When I got him I had one rock covered in algae. He cleaned that up in about a week. Now I am worried that I should maybe be supplementing with another food. I know he doesn't eat the pellets or brine when I feed. Do you agree with staying with the fish I have now? I do religious weekly water changes and canister maintenance.

Mine does the same thing, he "kisses" the glass and everything to get food. As long as he is plump then you should be good. Have you tried flake food? Mine happens to eat anything, clams, mysis, brine etc... I also keep a clip of algae or seaweed in the tank and he eats that as well. :)

Sniperhank said:
I mean fully grown, not juvenile for inch per 10 gal. Sorry for confusion.

By that calculation, you would need an 80 gallon tank for a pair of 4 inch adult clownfish. Or three clown gobies for a 30 gallon tank. Or a 40 gallon tank for just one adult bicolor blenny. Do you get my drift? It's all about swimming patterns/behavior, consistantly good water parameters, and compatability. IMO you can throw that 10 gallon per inch rule in the toilet and flush repeatedly.

Mine does the same thing, he "kisses" the glass and everything to get food. As long as he is plump then you should be good. Have you tried flake food? Mine happens to eat anything, clams, mysis, brine etc... I also keep a clip of algae or seaweed in the tank and he eats that as well. :)

I have not tried flake. I will pick some up on the way home from work. Recommend a particular flake food? I put a clip of seaweed in yesterday and then went out for dinner. It was gone when I got back, but I dont know who ate it. Maybe I will try it again tonight.

As far as the stocking, I feel like I could have one more small fish. I do take very good care of my tank and do weekly water changes. Any suggestions on a fish? I am shying away from blennies and gobies. Gobies need food...etc in the sandbed right? Tank is only 6 weeks old.

Since the lawnmower is a herbivore sprirulina flakes are fine. I would keep putting out the clip with algae, can't hurt. Something is eating it lol

Not all gobies need an established tank. Like a yellow watchman goby. Small and easy to keep. :)

I'm a fan of the firefish goby. These are not sand sifting gobies although they will burrow, usually between your substrate and a rock. Really small bioload and peaceful towards other tankmates. They stay small from 2-3 inches. They will take to flakes food or meaty foods from my expirience.

I like the firefish but the wife doesn't. Except for the helfrichi, that is. Not ready to pay $100 for a fish. How about a 6 line wrasse?

Any opinions on adding the six line wrasse? Was going to pick it up on the way home from work if people think it would be ok.

I dont think that would be ok. You need to slow down IMO. My tank has been cycled for a month and i only have one fish.

Really hard to go by a inch rule in SW. Different fish have different needs and you really cant go by that rule. Some sixline have been known to be quite nasty but I have one and he is pretty good so far.

Back
Top Bottom