First Water Test Results!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kingman8610

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so on 11/15/10 I took my own water test and the results are as follows:

PH-7.0
Alkaline-180
Hardness(is this for SW or FW?)-1000
Nitrate-40
Nitrite-0.5

From what the packaging says, these are more or less ideal measurements. But on the package it says "Good for Freshwater" but the way I know, is that the chemicals are the same for both FW and SW right? So with these readings, is this all good?

Please leave questions or comments :)

Thanks in advance for any/all advice or suggestions
-Brett

Are you measuring Alk in ppm? That would equate to about 10 dKH (that's the unit you will see most often).

Hardness is really not pertinent (if you're talking GH or general hardness, that rarely gets taken into consideration - just Alkalinity)

Nitrite presence will throw off the Nitrate test. Don't bother with Nitrate until your Nitrite is zero.

What about Ammonia?

pH seems low for SW. What salt mix are you using? What is your system info (tank, sump, skimmer, etc)

pH is very low for saltwater. When I first started my tank this summer is was about 7.8. I would add some buffer or something to get that up. But, if youre just cycling it shouldnt be a big deal

Hmm I will need to do some research. BTW should I post my tank inventory on my profile? b/c I'm getting tired of re-explaining what I have in my tank. no Offense i understand that some ppl dont know, but would posting that in my prof help cut down on ppl asking that? jc ok well I will have the answers to all ya'lls Qs tomorrow the office here is shutting down. thanks All!!!

BTW should I post my tank inventory on my profile? b/c I'm getting tired of re-explaining what I have in my tank. no Offense i understand that some ppl dont know, but would posting that in my prof help cut down on ppl asking that?

Yup. That's why the "My Tank" section is provided in your profile. Put the details of your tank there, and then just refer people to it if they ask. (And they will... even though it's there!)

To answer your original question, just looking at the numbers you gave, it sure looks like a cycle to me. I'd be interested in the ammonia numbers too. ANY measurable nitrites signify something isn't right with your bacteria. Also... during a cycle, the pH will bounce all over and normally be fairly low. Your pH is pretty low.

We will always ask for current water parameters.
FW and SW test kits are DIFFERENT for some items, so make sure your kit is for SW.

Too often people don't keep their "My Tanks" profile up to date and start asking about things that aren't there. That's when we ask for everything again.

Also, you should run what you wrote through a spell checker to make sure everything is accurate.

Oh, check out
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Back
Top Bottom