Fish poop acumulating in corner of tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do you get rid of the fish poop (and I think I saw it coming out of turbo snails also) that accumulates in the tank? I see it grouped in the corner of my tank... They look like small chocolate sprinkles.

Is there anything that will eat the poop?

Keep in mind, any other animal you add to eat waste will still produce its own waste. If the waste is in the corner of the tank, it will be easy to vacuum it out :D

Right now my tank is small enough to vacuum out the poop. But once I upgrade to a larger tank +70gal, I dont think it would be manageable.

Is this common practice?

TygGer said:
Right now my tank is small enough to vacuum out the poop. But once I upgrade to a larger tank +70gal, I dont think it would be manageable.

Is this common practice?

It's essential. They make siphon /vacuums for all size tanks. You should be able to find one long enough to do the job. Just make cleaning the substrate surface part of your routine when you do your water changes.

The sand compacts and the waste is left on top. If you keep the siphon above the sand, you will vac the waste and leave the sand.

TygGer said:
But once I upgrade to a larger tank +70gal, I dont think it would be manageable.
I vacuum my 80 gal weekly with a long vac.

i think another issue is water movement here !! if ya have a dead spot there then ya prob have many more ya cant see !! another pump might be in order to lift it out for your skimmer to get !! :)

Worst case you just use a turkey baster to lift out the offending poop.

Ok, I think Ill try adding more water movement. A little off topic, but it looks like most of the poop is coming from the turbo snails that I've added recently. They are doing a wonderful job at eating the algae, but Ive actually seen poop slide out of their shell while eating.

Is this common for turbos?

Back
Top Bottom