Fish transporting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering, how long can a fish live unharmed in a plastic bag?

ie. how long can the journey back from the LFS be to your house? And, should music be kept off etc.?

My friend and I have had fish in the bags for three hours, they didn't mind the music. I wouldn't do that with fish that are less hardy though!

Considering they survive overnight or longer deliveries from mail order shops, I think a trip home from an LFS would be fine. Just make sure it doesn't get too hot or cold.

I'm just thinking about the 1hr journey from Oasis Atari :p

If I keep the heating at a good level I guess that'd be ok then!

Your fish will be fine for an hour. Make sure you capture a lot of air in the bag and double bag for security. Good luck...Lando

Be careful with the heating.. too warm and the water won't be able to hold oxygen. The weather is perfect these days anyway..

Considering they survive overnight or longer deliveries from mail order shops,

I think most mail order shops fill the bag with pure oxygen to ship.

When I was in college, we used to get our SW fish from a Fish Store that was 2 hours away. They used to put pure oxygen in the bag for us. If I remember correctly (this was 8 years ago), the owner told us that he would not leave the fish in the bag for more than about 2 hrs with just air in the bag. HTH

Back
Top Bottom