Flame angle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbiesamp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do they eat corals and what is a good tank size for a small 1and half inch one

Attachments

• image-1086173598.jpg
    image-1086173598.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 147
They nip at corals and you should be ok in a 30 gallon tank nothing smaller. It wouldn't really make a difference what size the fish is at the moment tbh. Lovely fish though!

Ihave read that they may pick at them. I had one and it did not pick at mine. As for tank size could not tell you .mine was in a 125 and jumped out of the back while I was at work...

IMO, a 30g would be too small for long term. Most Dwarf Angels are okay with 70+. I would not go less than 55g. That's just me though. A Pygmy (cherub or flame back) might be okay in a 30g...I'd still go larger, like 55g+.

I just got one and put it in a 10 gallon quorinting tank for a week than put it in my 50 for about 6 months than put it in my 800 gallon reef than when it's all set up and good

800! Whoa. That's big and I'd love a picture or two when you get it going.

I've had Flames and Lemon Peels in 30, 40, 50 gallon tanks without issue. They were both pickers when it comes to coral. They really gave my LPS a hard time. The occassional nip here and there doesn't seem like much, but it makes the coral retract often, which causes health problems for it over time.

I wouldn't trust one in a small reef, but a big one shouldn't be a big deal. I do love me a nice Flame or Lemon Peel Angel. Such great fish!

I have had my flame in my 75 gal mixed reef over 1 1/2 years now with 7 other fish. Awesome fish has never bothered anything.
I just keep tank well fed... And a good octopus skimmer.. LOL

It is about the size of the tank and the number of potential targets for picking. If the angel is in a small tank with just a few corals, any picking will probably damage the corals. In a bigger tank with lots of corals, no one coral gets picked on enough to cause serious damage. But they do pick. Mine don't seem to damage anything, but the coral does react to it.

Ok mine will go in a 46 bow front with lots of corals do you think that will be ok
I just have softies and some Duncan's and frog span

Any "meaty" corals are fair game... And I think 30,40,50 are all fine

Just want to let everyone know I got him last week and he has sent touched a thing. He is nipping on bristle worms and at my rocks that's it ! He love brine shrimp and he plays tag with my dottyback (their in love )

Back
Top Bottom