Found a great consumer of hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought two greenish, slug type critters from the lfs yesterday. They called them "???? hairy" (can't believe I forgot). I bought them on the suggestion that they are voracious consumers of green hair algae.

Yup, placed them on some algae cover rocks and they went town! Within a couple of hours, the little critters had carved swaths of cleaned rock through the small forests of hair algae. Anybody know more of these critters? I'll call the lfs back today to get that name if nobody here can ID them for me.

Most likely a sea hare (Aplysia sp.). Plain looking sea slug?

Cheers
Steve

That's it :!: :p

SEA HARE. How could I possibly forget that name :? Works great. Anything I should know about proper care? Concerns?

Usually, I would do this research before buying but, I need a hair algae solution and there were only four of these critters left

Two main concerns. If there are pumps in the tank, they can often fall prey to the impeller so be wary of that. Usually a tank with an overflow system and nothing motorized in the tank is best suited for their longevity. Second is you need to feed them once the hair algae problem is gone. Dark green leafy lettuces (presoftend) like kale, spinach and such might be good option.

Have a look here...
http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=seahares

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom