Fragging, how long can it be out of the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I frag, how long can the coral be out of the water? Few minutes?

I try to limit the exposure to air to five minutes or less. They can probably handle more time out of the water than that, but I dont press the issue

When you do the actual fragging I would place the entire coral in a small tank/ bucket and do the cutting in there submerged along with however you choose to attach it to the rock.

During the process the coral may slime. By using the seperate water it will reduce the amount of waste released into main. Once done let it sit for awhile and then just place it back in the main.

I would try to limit any exposure to air at all other than for the actual transfer. Some corals are more sensitive than others.

HTH,

Be my guest using a dremel in a tank....

Im already done :)

Battery powered or electric? :lol: :lol:

Take it you are fragging SPS. Yeah ok then out of water is probably best.

Good Luck,

Here are a few of the torch coral frags I just did. They arent fully open yet though.

pict0003small9wy.jpg

Softies at most 30 minutes but try and keep them wet. SPS no more than 15 minutes. I saw him frag a brain and it was out of the water about 20 minutes and he had a nucket he would dip it in every five minutes or so. This guy I know has been fragging for years. He use to be one of the guys that went out and collected the corals from the reefs. He would collect, frag, return them to a shallower reef and collect later. He quit the business when the collector he was working for got too greedy and didn't care about the impact he was having on the reef.

Back
Top Bottom