Fragging zoos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a decent sized rock that is covered in zoos...I'd like to get them to spread but they are out of room on the rock. How would I go about breaking the rock up into smaller pieces without mangling the zoos?

Here's a pic of the rock. It is about 4" across:
P1030777.JPG

I don't see any need to break up the rock, it's a beautiful piece. They will move onto anything sitting next to them all on there own if given time. If you want to frag them that way, then shift some rubble next to them and wait for them to spread onto it. Otherwise, you can use a chisel to scrap them off the rock. Be sure to get a bit of rock with it (the rock is surprisingly soft) so you can use that when gluing them down elsewhere.

You can just scrape them off as said then super glue them to another rock. Make sure you dry off the rock and the bottom of the polyps when you glue so they stick, or if you get a rock that has some holes in it you can just stick the polyps in there and put the rock in a low flow area til they attach.

I've smashed some of my polyps a couple times when I frag mine and sometimes one will get ripped in half, but they always make it.

I've always just put some rubble next to them and let a couple of polyps grow onto the rubble. After you get one or two polyps to grow onto a bit of rubble they will start a whole new colony.

If the rock can be moved, just place it in the sand the the zoos will grow out over the sand. Makes it real easy to tear or cut off at that point.

If you really want to break it up, a hammer and a chisel will do the trick. You can get a small chisel in between the polyps. Only thing I have had issues with on combo rocks like that is one color will sometimes overtake the other ...

Very nice rock!

Back
Top Bottom