Frogspawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone ever seen a frogspawn do this? The brown used to cover the entire thing. Now it's coming off.

Attachments

• 1394459853459.jpg
    1394459853459.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 173
my frogspawn is almost all white, except around the heads and along the bottom and one side, idk really mine is fine and alive!

Ok. I got it a week ago and it started growing a new head a few days ago. When I got home today it was shedding the brown.

That isn't normal. Check all of your parameters ASAP. What lighting do you have? Where is it located vertically? How much flow do you have on it?

The flesh sometimes recedes as they grow but never melts away like that. Almost like brown jelly disease but can't be certain.

That isn't normal. Check all of your parameters ASAP. What lighting do you have? Where is it located vertically? How much flow do you have on it?

The flesh sometimes recedes as they grow but never melts away like that. Almost like brown jelly disease but can't be certain.
Yeah mine never melted it just never had it and is fine, however if you see the flesh melting and like peeling id say brown jelly.

Parameters are fine.
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
<5 nitrate
Calcium 460
It is the lower middle of the tank with moderate flow.

About to do a pwc. Other than brown coming off it looks completely healthy

Ph? Phosphates? Alk? Lighting? If the flesh is breaking down like that it isn't healthy. Just hope it recovers.

That is the only tests I have until my others come in. I have 3 165w LEDs over a 125

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok lighting is fine. What percent are they running at? Might be too much lighting. I would recommend putting coral in the sand bed to let it light acclimate.

Yes. Move it down to sand bed and in an area of low to moderate flow. And get those other params tested. If you don't have the test kits yet take a water sample to your lfs. And get numbers not just "your water is ok".

It may be bleaching and sloughing off algae. Needs less light and be sure alkalinity is right. They don't like any rapid changes.

I have a frogspawn that as it grew it dropped little heads along the skeleton and right from the size of a pinhead they had color.

Mine didn't broadcast heads, it just had little itty bitty ones along the skeleton that got isolated as the main polyp grow higher and took its tissue with it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394503948.653339.jpg here is a pic now, 6 months ago they were the size of pinheads. I lost the coral in a crash and low and behold the baby buds survived didn't even know they were there till the big heads died. I imagine as the large polyps grew and detached from the tiny buds it would have to severe the tissue as it does when a big head splits. It appears this "may" be the case here. It looks like a small polyp formed on the skeleton in the ops pic and the tissue is stretching as it seperates.

So I moved it to the sandbed. It was wide open when I cut the lights off. It looks healthy except for the skeleton being white.

Back
Top Bottom