Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2004, 09:49 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

As the Odyssea I got from Aquatraders.com on Friday broke on Sunday I called HelloLights to order a replacement. I ended up getting a 28w Coralife. It comes with a 50/50 (10k/03) but the rep said that he swapped it out for his fuge with a 6700k and has had much better results with his macro (cheato/grape/caulerpa).

I had him send the 6700k along with the fixture so I could test this myself.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:55 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'm planning a grow light from Menards for mine. From what I've read, it isn't that major.

Old 12-28-2004, 10:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've got calls pending to lightbulb manufacturers on the temperature (kelvin) of their various bulbs. Most grow lights it seems are in the 2-4000K range.

Unfortunately it seems there is no hard evidence to the refuge lighting question. I am also probably going to buy the 20" corallife 28watt PCs. For $35 its probably the cheapest part of my system.

75 gal RR Oceanic with AqualightPro (2x150 watt HQI + 2x96 PC)/ 90# LS /90# LR/ Wavemaker

30 gal Refugium/RemoraPro & Mag 3/ 5# miracle Mud/ 10# LS. Light pending
sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:30 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
For $35 its probably the cheapest part of my system.
LOL. I know what you mean!
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
A simple PVC rack is easy to make to hold a pair of 20 watt NO bulbs. They'll look butt ugly but they'll grow marine Algae very well. Lights of America makes a 65watt PC that's cheap and works very well too.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:40 PM   #16

The lights of america bulbs all seem to be 2800K temp or so regardless of the wattage which seems low for a refugium, but thanks for the idea

75 gal RR Oceanic with AqualightPro (2x150 watt HQI + 2x96 PC)/ 90# LS /90# LR/ Wavemaker

Old 12-29-2004, 08:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The one I use is 6500K but you're confusing Kelvin color with light spectrum. Spectrum determines the suitability for algae photosynthesis, not Kelvin Color.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:57 PM   #18
steve-s

Unless I'm mistaken Color temperature (Kelvin), will also describe the color emitted by the light. The lower the number the more orange/yellow/red. The higher the number the more blue/violet the light spectrum emitted. Color temperature is directly related to the spectrum of colors the bulb will emit.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-29-2004, 10:09 PM   #19

Everyone thanks for the input!!!

Bang Guy, I checked Reef Aquarium Vol 1 and Kelvin colour temperture is directly related to wavelength. They are different measures of same thing. Thus the lower a Kelvin temp the more red wavelength is available and the more algae that likes the red end of spectrum will grow.

But it sounds like refugiums may not require the higher wavelengths of light to work. What model number was the light of America bulb?

$35 for a 28 watt coralife 50/50 bulb sounds cheap and if it work better then on the tank it goes

Old 12-29-2004, 11:46 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
The higher the number the more blue/violet the light spectrum emitted.
Please compare the spectral output of the 6500K Iwasaki 250 watt Mercury Vapor bulb and the 20,000K Osram 250 watt Metal Halide Bulb. You will see that the Iwasaki bulb produces more light in the blue/violet spectrum than the Osram and yet the Kelvin color is far lower. This is because Kelvin is just the final color of all the mixed wavelengths of light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipe
Bang Guy, I checked Reef Aquarium Vol 1 and Kelvin colour temperture is directly related to wavelength.
They are related but they are far from the same thing. Kelvin Color is dependent on the mix of all the different light wavelengths emitted by the bulb. Electromagnetic spectrum is measuten by the wavelength of the light in nanometers (NM). The color of the bulb (mix) is what's measured in Kelvin degrees.

A bulb ideally suited for growing algae would be a mix of blue spectrum (~450nm) and red spectrum (~670nm) light. These are the two photosynthetic peaks. Please forgive me if the actual numbers are slightly different, this is from memory but it will suffice to make the point. This mix would produce a greenish, yellowish light around 5000K on the Kelvin Scale but the amount of blue vs red could send the color almost anywhere on the scale from 2000K if mostly red up to 20,000K if it were mostly blue. A bulb emitting a single wavelength of light around say 570nm would would also be about 5500K on the Kelvin scale but it will be almost useless for growing algae.

So, spectrum is important, the Kelvin color really isn't. The Kelvin color is very important for asthetic reasons though. Nobody wants a yellow looking reef no matter how healthy it makes your corals.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com