Funny Mantis Shrimp Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plkdb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Went fishing this weekend with one of the guys I work with. We reeled in all of our lines (except one of his by accident), and started motoring away till we heard the zzzzzinnng of the rod. We stopped and reeled it in, and attatched to the hook was about a 6-8 inch mantis shrimp. I warned him about the dangers of them, so he pulled one of its slashers off with a pair of pliers. It had a smaller one which he pulled off later with his fingers after talking about how it reminded him of a praying mantis. Funny part is he sees these red parts on its body, so he starts ripping them off and throwing them back into the water because he thought they were eggs, and didnt want to kill all of them. I found out later the "eggs" were actually its gills.

Wow, that is one big mantis shrimp. I had no idea that got that large. Would hate to have that thing strike me...

Gotta go with kidafius on this one, seems like senseless killing to me. Knda like hunting for deer, taking the rack and leaving the body to rot, only in this case he didn't even keep a trophy, he just dismembered it.

Actually, the only part he threw back in the water were the "eggs" (gills). The rest we kept for bait along with a few fish we caught. Sorry, I just thought it was funny him ripping these things off thinking they were eggs to try and save the babie, when it was really how it breathes. I didnt know any different until I did some research on the web.

I have to agree as a hunter it makes me sick to see someone hunt for something they arent even going to eat. I only hunt for things i can eat

Back
Top Bottom