Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Good Coral Food?

I remember reading somewhere that fish poop is good for corals/sps. Does anybody know if this is true?

Old 07-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Corals typically eat phytoplankton or Zoaplankton...I don't think fish poop falls into those categories...I'd be interested in seeing where you read that from...

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

What coral in particular. Most corals rely mostly on light for their needs. They will capture some nutrients from the water column and that includes fish waste (nitrogen). Any nutrients that they ingest must be of the correct particle size too.

From Eric Borneman: "... corals require additional energy and materials in the form of nitrogen to build tissues and proteins. This nitrogen requirement is met from acquisition of prey, ingestion of particulate material and bacteria, and/or from absorption of dissolved nitrogen compounds."
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
I remember reading somewhere that fish poop is good for corals/sps. Does anybody know if this is true?
I've read that too - I think in something Sprung wrote - but I remember it more in line with what cmor mentions... they absorb the nutrients from the fish waste. I'm thinking that's what you meant, versus actually feeding polyps ground up poop! (Who knows... maybe you've come up with the next niche product in the aquarium market!)
Old 07-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont target feed but a few of my corals. Most of them get what they need from the lighting and water column.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Yeah that is probably right. What I remember is somebody with a really nice SPS tank (I think one of the tanks of the month on reef central) saying that they feed their fish a lot in order to basically make more natural poo in the tank from the fish, for the coral. Then of course they talk about the weekly pwc etc.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

To a certain degree the answer is yes. When fish consume a meal a percentage is absorbed and waste is then created. Coral, fish, and other inhabitants then utilize the waste in nutrient absorption creating more waste broken down for other fauna to make use of. The process is a bioaccumulation of nutrients providing energy; however, exportation and suspension within the water column (unused) can interrupt the cycle, for better or for worse.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I feel stupid for being happy the past few days when my Tang would take a big dump on my acro colony.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

They would be happier with small meaty bits of food. Cylops is great food for fish and coral and brine shrimp. Its best to use 5 or 6 types of food from flake to mysis.Then feed more often with smaller amounts is helpfull also. If you have fish then if they are fead right then coral will get more then enough food.The amount of waste in your small home aquarium you want fish waste to a minimum and then your LR and LS and CUC clean it up fast.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Every now and again I use a turkey baster and blow the detritis off of my LR. My corals do seem to appriciate the meal provided by the water column when I do this. It is typically referred to as marine "snow" and it a combo of waste products, old food and the such. I would not rely on this method to feed corals all of the time.

Tags
coral, food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com