Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-23-2006, 09:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by Phyl
Zenn, that is a recipe for disaster, I think. I had a BTA that did that and he looks awful now. Still "alive" but not well looking at all. I'd suggest feeding it as a means to possibly helping it along while it is shying away from the light that it so desparately needs.
well, that's the problem. It's not grabbing onto food that is offered to it. I might try some different things to try and feed it small chuncks of shrimp but when i offer it mysis...the stuff hits the tentacles and then just sort of floats off becasue the BTA won't grab onto it. I did just rescape the tank so i think this might be a reaction to the water quality being bad for a day there. Still observing but i am worried about it.

75g reef
zenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:34 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
They are definetly strange creatures. I don't have a BTA, just a Condylactis which I think is a bit hardier, but not sure on that. Mine will be looking like the loch ness monster for a few days, then will have one of his shrunk up, look like hell, bad hair days. Used to scare me, but now I just ignore it mostly. I do check my water out if he goes like that for more than a day or two. Kinda like the canary in the coal mine, but usually the water is fine. No idea why it does this, but seems to be normal behavior, at least normal for my condy.

Zenn, how is his attachment to the rock? If he seems to have firm attachment then it might not be something to be too worried about. How long has this been going on? I know mine is not concerned about food at all when he's in his "shrunken" phase. I was thinking that maybe periodically they do a purge on all the old water they have inside or something along those lines. No way sure about that one, but was just thinking that could be a reason why mine periodically looks like he's gonna die. Hope that it's just a similar thing with yours.

ColdFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I think the key to anemones is to leave them alone. My BTA is in my LPS tank with a 175w 10k metal halide and some actinics. The anemone is not even in direct lighting and has taken up a spot under my bubble coral. I feed it when the tentacles get a little stringy about once a week to once ever 2 weeks. I would recommend setting up a drip auto top off little cheap rig if you plan on having an anemone. I have noticed they don't like salinity changes at all.
37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
welll, i got mine to feed today. He hasn't eaten in over a week which is wierd cause he's always taken food when i've offered it before. He took the shrimp today though. I think your're right DragonForce...they just need to be left alone.

75g reef
zenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com