GPH for my 55gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaheli

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there people. I finally got my tank established and after an immature and probably stupid stocking decision, I put a couple fish into my tank. :) I got a Scooter blenny (which I love) and a domino damsel which will be moving out shortly into its own nano. ANYWAYS....Back to biz

I'm designing a sump/overflow/skimmer sort of plan. I will be doing a powerheadless system. I hate powerheads. :) I'd rather have one return pump. I'm just not sure how overkill I need to go. :) Its a 55gal, I'm planning on having pretty standard stuff, blue regal tang, clowns, corals, my scooter blenny, a couple inverts and such..

My local friend is saying 1200-1600 is PLENTY.. I was going to go with a Mag2400... Which is says is CRAZY overkill.. :) So, I'd like to get a couple of second/third/fouth opinions before I start purchasing hardware.

Let me know, Thanks!!

--Micah

I have 2 400gph aquaclear ph. Something like this would give you the desired 10-20 cycles per hour.

is your tank reef ready or are you going to use an overflow box? most reef ready 55 gal tanks have a one inch bulkhead for the drain line, which wont be large for a no powerhead system. this is what i have, and am just like you, i hate the look of powerheads in my tank. i have a quiet one pump rated at 800 gph, but my one inch drain wont even handle 600 gph, so i have turned down using a ball valve, and use the PHs.

if you dont have a reef ready and are going to buy an overflow box, make sure you get one rated at least 800 gph, this way you wont need any PHs, and i would actually go with two returns.

1200-1600 gph in a 55 is a little much. youll be blowing your coral all around the tank. i think 600-800 gph would be suficient. i have about 600-700 right now and everyone seems very happy, especially my xenia whom can actually pulse now and not get blown away.

1200-1600 gph in a 55 is a little much. youll be blowing your coral all around the tank. i think 600-800 gph would be suficient. i have about 600-700 right now and everyone seems very happy, especially my xenia whom can actually pulse now and not get blown away.
I am his Local Friend that says 12-1600 max gph.. LOL Anyways right now I have about 1200gph in my 55gal and its pretty wavy but not blowing too much around.. My tank is primarily an SPS tank with a few softies and Its about perfect.. All my corals seem happy.. I couldnt imagine having anymore movement in my tank..

James

What if I break up the current with 2 SCWD's... making 4 returns (this was my original design). That way the flow is very random, but you get a LOT of it. I can be gentle with return flow. Diffusing the water flow.

And yes, I'll be using custom overflows I'll be making myself with 1.5-2 inch dual siphons. Made with plexi. They should be rated at 3000gph. It would be nice to think I could use less gph. would be cheaper and easier too.. Perhaps I'll get a 1200gph pump and control the flow down to wherever works. That way its controllable. I figure that shouldn't be bad on the pump considering its a mag drive pump, and it would just simulate high head anyways.

--Micah

You could always do an appropriately sized pump for your sump and incorporate a closed loop for the squids. If your sump is a wet/dry, you can flow too much water through it.

reefrunner69 said:
You could always do an appropriately sized pump for your sump and incorporate a closed loop for the squids. If your sump is a wet/dry, you can flow too much water through it.

That's what I did on my 72g tank. I have a pump running my wet/dry probably around 600-700 gph then I have a closed loop that has 4 outputs, there is current switcher inbetween the left and right outputs. Seems to work pretty well so far.

Yes.. but what is your total GPH and what size aquarium?

Your total GPH wouldn't really matter.

You could run your wet/dry or sump with a mag drive 7 and run whatever size pump you wanted with your closed loop, as it does not use an overflow.

cj10488 said:
I am his Local Friend that says 12-1600 max gph.. LOL Anyways right now I have about 1200gph in my 55gal and its pretty wavy but not blowing too much around.. My tank is primarily an SPS tank with a few softies and Its about perfect.. All my corals seem happy.. I couldnt imagine having anymore movement in my tank..

I guess you could have that much flow with sps. i dont have any so i dont really know. with my lps tho when i put in a PH to add more gph they all started blowing away and ended up closing up. so i guess it depends on what you are keeping.

I guess you could have that much flow with sps. i dont have any so i dont really know. with my lps tho when i put in a PH to add more gph they all started blowing away and ended up closing up. so i guess it depends on what you are keeping.
It kinda all depends on where you put the LPS.. I have a few LPS bubble Coral, Plate coral, and Large Frogspawn.. I was able to find perfect places where they like it..

James

If the flow is diffused enough, I don't think it's too much for anything. Velocity and flow are two different things.

Exactly. Also, WHY the heck would I need a closed loop if I can take care of everything with the return pump? Why waste my time and money plumbing everything in a closed loop when I can plumb it all through the sump/overflow. I don't understand the benefits of having a closed loop system over a sump system. Can somebody shed some light? Do I just not understand?

--Micah

I don't understand the benefits of having a closed loop system over a sump system.

There are many reasons why you would want a closed loop over a sup.

1) The number of gravity fed overflows needed to drain the amount of water you can move through a closed loop is very expensive.
2) Many people have flow requirements for their sumps, IE; you don't want 1600 gph, going through a refugium sized for a 55g tank Or through a wet dry for a 55g tank.
3) Closed loops don't flood ;)

If you feel it is best to put that much through your sump, then I would hypotosize, you really don't have need of a sump and can get by with a closed loop by itself. Your skimmer will have a difficult time removing organics from the water with that much flow through the sump, the heaters will be ineffecient. Most of the things you put in a sump need dwell time to operate efficiently.

Reefrunner,

Thanks! Finally a good reason! that WOULD be a lot of water moving through a refugium.

Just FYI: I'm making my own overflows, so it wouldn't be expensive... But still... I won't have to worry about overflowing with a closed loop. Too bad skimmers have to be in sumps or HOB. I'm fairly anti-hob due to microbubble problems and my lack of wanting to deal with them. So, I'll just get a smaller pump for return and make a closed loop for circ. Do you think around 500gph is enough for a 55gal through a sump? the skimmer will be powered by a 700gph pump.. So I figure a slightly less gph would be ideal for the return. Then I can do whatever for closed loop.

Thanks again

Do you think around 500gph is enough for a 55gal through a sump? the skimmer will be powered by a 700gph pump.. So I figure a slightly less gph would be ideal for the return. Then I can do whatever for closed loop.

Yep, I think that will be fine ;)

Back
Top Bottom