Grand scheme! - sump plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is my idea for adding a sump to my tank. The tank is in my bedroom and my bedroom is above the garage. The garage temp stays pretty consistant all year long, in fact it stays pretty cool. I'm hoping that will help in keeping the tank cool.

Should I use pvc or can I use flex hose?
What brand of pump is most efficient?

Head height will be about 8 - 10 feet. I plan on switching the main display tank to an AGA reef ready 65g. The sump will be DIY with room for my Remora Pro, bubble trap, fuge and return pump area.

I want to put the sump/fuge in the garage to keep the noise out of my bedroom.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

-Eric

Attachments

• grand_scheme.jpg
    grand_scheme.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 135
:oops: Sorry about the triple image attachment. There was no indication that it was attached so I kept trying to do it! I cant figure out how to fix it either. :oops:

Can one of you spiffy mods fix it?

TIA,

-E

Nothing wrong with what you propose but be sure the garage is not used to store chemicals/paint/fuel of any kind that will contaminate the air supply. That includes car exhaust.

The plumbing shouldn't be too hard it's just a matter of getting the appropriate sized pump for the desired return flow vs. head height. I think Elize or Phyl (both?) have something similar but to their basements. One should chime in with recommendations.

As far as the multiple pics, you are the only one that can fix that. Click the "profile" button at the bottom left of your post above. From there you will see a link in your profile screen on the bottom right reading "user attachment control". Click that link and it will allow you to delete whichever pics you need to.

Cheers
Steve

Ahh thanks Steve for the telling me how to fix the attachment problem.

Hmm.. maybe the garage is not the best idea then. We do use it to store the car but it is only occasionally used. 2 or 3 times a week. The car is NEVER run with the garage door closed. I'm thinking the sump may be safer there than it is in my room cause of the amount of air sprays my grandmother pumps into the air. Between smoking, lysol and fabreez I'm thinking the sump might do alright or even be better off in the garage. I don't smoke but I live with someone who does.

Sheesh.. I thought I had it all figured out!

Thanks,

-E

We're running a Sequence 5800 from our sump. 1/3 of that goes up to the main (dual overflow 120), 1/3 into the stock tank (150g) and then the extra flow goes back into the sump (100g). We ran Schedule 40 PVC up to the tank and back again. We used 1.5" up and 2" coming back down.

One of the other guys in our club has his piped with flex but when he feeds his tank his tank overflows if he doesn't shut off the flow (I totally don't understand the mechanics of that, but it is what he says, lol). This probably has nothing to do with using flex, but more probably the size of the piping that he chose to use.

Another guy in the club is using a Sequence 3200 to get to his tank from his basement. I'm not sure how you calculated 8' of head... I'm figuring with 4' to the tank from the floor and at LEAST 8' from the floor of the basement to the tank that would be at the very least 12' (probably more as most garage space is larger than your standard 8' ceilings). With elbows, Ts and other bends you're probably looking at around 16-18' of head pressure (there are lots of cool head pressure calculators around). A lot of pumps shut off altogether around 12' so watch which one you choose if you decide to go that route.

I've also seen people build a fish "Room" in their garage with drywall walls to keep the garage odors out of the tank.

I will have the sump up on a workbench which is pretty high off the floor.. about 4'. The house is old and is not constructed like todays homes. The garage ceiling is 8' that is were I come up with 8-10' of head. So I'll plan on 12' considering T's, elbows and bends.

Most of the reef ready tanks I'm seeing like All-Glass, Oceanic and Perfecto only have 1 overflow. I would like to have the redundancy of 2 in case one clogs cause in my world "If it can happen, it will".
Thanks,

-Eric

Back
Top Bottom