gravel vac question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a topfin gravel vac you gota pump it up n down to start the syphon my question is would i make a huge sandstorm in my tank and would it end up sucking up the sand bed if i get to close to the surface?

yeah, thats what I do.. kinda embarrassing and gross at the same time ahah

Or you could cover the end with your thumb at fill the tube with your water then submerse your vac back into your tank and when you release the flow should start.

If you have a powerhead, hold the suction end up to the powerhead and it will start the vacuum. I have a 75 gal tank and that how I start mine when I need to do water changes.

You don't have to use the up and down motion for it to work. Just loop it nice and neat, put the whole thing in the water and let the air out by tilting it. Once theres water in the whole hose and tube part you can use it. :-D

carey said:
You don't have to use the up and down motion for it to work. Just loop it nice and neat, put the whole thing in the water and let the air out by tilting it. Once theres water in the whole hose and tube part you can use it. :-D

this whole time ive been makkein more work than nessacary

I personally cant get it to work well by using the uppy down motion. lol I just use it like a regular siphon. :)

it takes a good 5 min and a lot of turbulance in the water to get it started it probably stresses the poor fish il be usin the other methods from now on

Back
Top Bottom