Do I use my suck hose to vacuum the gravel with Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do I use my suck hose to vacuum the gravel with cories. Cause the Cories dig the gravel for something to eat. If I vacuum their food source, would that be a good idea? How do I know my cories are getting food to eat. My other fish would eat the food before my Cories would. :fish2::fish1:(y)

You should gravel clean the substrate in any tank that contains fish.

In an aquarium, Corydoras food is not in the substrate, it should be on the surface where you put it, or where it lands when you drop it in the tank.

In the wild there will be worms, insect larvae and small organisms in the top layer of substrate but these are usually missing from aquariums. So you should gravel clean their substrate whenever you do a water change.

Thank you

You should gravel clean the substrate in any tank that contains fish.

In an aquarium, Corydoras food is not in the substrate, it should be on the surface where you put it, or where it lands when you drop it in the tank.

In the wild there will be worms, insect larvae and small organisms in the top layer of substrate but these are usually missing from aquariums. So you should gravel clean their substrate whenever you do a water change.

Next time I do a water change I will clean the gravel. I also have blood worms to feed my fish, along with fish flakes, and small pellet food. my betta's love their pellet food as well. Thanks for your reply. Can bettas eat blood worms to?

Next time I do a water change I will clean the gravel. I also have blood worms to feed my fish, along with fish flakes, and small pellet food. my betta's love their pellet food as well. Thanks for your reply. Can bettas eat blood worms to?
Hello, if you haven't cleaned your gravel in a while I would suggest you break it up. I would do it in thirds. Be sure to test about 12-24hrs afterwards to make sure water parameters acceptable.
Substrate holds a substantial amount of good bacteria. If you clean all you will be removing a good amount. This in turn may cause ammonia spike or mini cycle. Both can harm your pets.
I would lightly go over 2/3rds of surface of substrate so looks clean & deep clean remaining 1/3rd. Each time you do maintenance you can increase by a fraction & eventually you can do as whole if wanting or just leave in 1/3rds your choice. Bacteria will increase in filter enough to handle bio load. Hopefully this helps!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom