Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-10-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
Gravels aragonite sand or crushed coral?

Hello everybody!!!! I have a 45 gallon salt water corner tank and just got a Fluval 404 and a penguin 330 filter bio-wheel. I was going to put all these in the tank soon. I believe that I had Dolomite gravel before and am asking about some opinions on what I should use for a gravel. I was told that crushed coral is good because it is easier to clean and aragonite is better for biological filtration. I think that I have plenty of biological filtration. I belive the dolomite had some buffering characteristics to keep the PH stable. This is something that I definately want in a gravel. The less maintance the better. I only plan on putting some damsel fish in the tank for about a year because I might move. I do not want any live rock this time but wouldn't mind some hermit crabs. I would like to be able to siphon the gravel to remove debris with my water changes. It seems like a good idea. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:58 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
if you want less maintenance then you want an argonite based sand bed. with the sand bed there's no need for vacuming. You vacume the CC because is collects the detritus. a DSB will give you more natural filtration without any added maintenance. The CC will give you minimal filtration and you'll need to maintain it.

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

aragonite, coral, crushed, crushed coral, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com