Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackteck

lol i need to knock the cobwebs off mine actually havent played it in a few weeks
Hit me up (plumbum187) that's if they have ps3 in heaven lmao Later

Old 05-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Has anyone herd of using vodka to control algae growth

Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My lawnmower ate through all the algae and now eats everything I feed the tank. I also put out algae strips like cody.

My lawnmower has started eating clams and shrimp now. I'm actually kinda worried cause he's a herbivore I believe. LOL
Old 05-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with finding the source of the problem first. It would be easier to get a blenny and have it eat all the algae, but what happens after that? If the algae is keeping your phosphates and nitrates in check, what happens when there is little to no algae left to consume it? Just something else to think about (btw 2012 has already been disproved, the math was wrong. From the sounds of saturday I'm thinking the math is off on that as well)
Old 05-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Believe it or not, there are fewer "true" herbivores and carnivores out there than we are taught to know. Usually the term just refers to the main source of food a creature eats.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with the above statement, you need to treat the source, not the symptom. Adding a blenny will get rid of the algae, but not the source.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But it will help with the problem. And once all the algae is gone u will get a better reading of what's causing it.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

If it's eating all the algae then it will be much harder to tell if you're getting rid of the source. You need some source of feedback to know if you're having an affect on the problem. I'm not saying do, or do not get one. I'm only trying to show another side of the coin.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The algae can also take up the nutrients and cause blank readings if there is to much of it.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yep, that's what I was referring to in my first post. But rather than spend money right away, the time could be taken to test the water used for the tank, review feeding habits, etc. If you find the source of the problem first and get rid of it, then take some time on a weekend to clear all the algae out, that's money saved or money that was towards fixing the problem. I'm not against buying a blenny, my only concern is after the blenny eats everything you're still left with the original problem and a new fish to feed. And money that was spent on the fish could have been used towards fixing the problem.

Tags
algae, control, hair, hair algae, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com