Green Slime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gardnern

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About three weeks ago I set up a 55 gal tank for a coral reef. It sat for about a month with live sand, and an Emperor 4008 filter, oh and a powerhead. Last week I put a wet/dry filter with a skimmer on it to replace the Emperor, and I also moved the fish and live rock from I had from a 40 gal tank I have had up for about three years. The fish and all seem to be doing fine except I noticed after a couple of days after putting the rock in that I had allot of bubbles in the tank so I shut off the powerhead but It's getting worse. The bubbles burst and it turns into this green slime, which is now on my rock and sand. How do I get rid of this horrible looking slime? :?

Can you peel it off the sand and rocks in a sheet? or do you have to scrape it off the rocks?

Can you take a bit out and smell it? If you can peel it up and it smells bad it's probably cyanobacteria.

I just treated my tank for it with EM Tablets and it's gone!! You have to clean it out as much as you can first, then treat.

Back
Top Bottom