Green slimmer turning white.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyLKush

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a frag of a green slimmer about 2 weeks ago and it's starting to turn white from the top and getting closer to the base. Could this be from too much light? It fell over a couple of times so maybe it is just stressed? This is my first coral like this still learning so if someone could help me save it or is it too late? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391013128.034436.jpg

I'd say it's to late. Was it ever green? Looks like all the flesh is gone. What are your parameters? What type of lighting? Did you light acclimate? Here's a healthy green slimer ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391015690.837680.jpg

Oh wow it never looked like that at all. I have to get a new test kit for my water I have test strips that really are not that great. I have LEDs not sure what brand but they turn every color you can imagine and are super bright. New to all this so I'm trying to figure it out and learn as I go. I didn't light acclimate it I don't even know how to do that. I asked a ton of questions and my LFS but they never mentioned that. Should I take it out of the tank and call it a learning experience or should I give it some time still. Don't wanna leave it in if it's bad for the rest of the aquarium.

I'd take it out. Is there any living tissue left at all? Was that your first coral? Or first sps coral? Generally it is a hardier acropora but it's still an acropora and demands high quality water and lighting. Definitely look into at least a master test kit and calcium, alkalinity and magnesium test kits as well. Just curious what did the store tell you for it's care? Sorry that it isn't doing so well

The bottom looks like it has some tissue left but I don't think it was ever healthy it was never green like that it was brown or tanish and had a cpl green spots on it. This is my first sps coral(not even sure what sps stands for) I have a Kenya tree and a green star polyp which both have been doing for for a month or too now. Although the polyp still hasn't attached to my rock it's still just sitting on top of it. They store told me that I really didn't have to do anything for it that it would be hardy and grow fast. I hate that stupid plug it's on they told me it would grow around it and I wouldn't even see the plug eventually. For now on I think I will buy frags that are on rocks already.

Yeah doesn't sound like it was very happy at the lfs. Sps stands for small polyp stony corals. I wouldn't try more sps until you get a little further into the hobby with lps corals like hammers, torches, acans, brains, etc... Once you can keep those going well then try some montipora. Leave acropora, more headache than any other coral lol.

Yeah I have been looking at some torches or frogspawns I love how they look. Saw a nice monti the other day too but decided to wait thankfully. I don't want to kill anything. I'm going to do a water change in a day or too an get a better test kit. Going to use RO water just found a place that sells it for 75 cents a gallon. Is that pricey?

Yeah I have been looking at some torches or frogspawns I love how they look. Saw a nice monti the other day too but decided to wait thankfully. I don't want to kill anything. I'm going to do a water change in a day or too an get a better test kit. Going to use RO water just found a place that sells it for 75 cents a gallon. Is that pricey?

No sounds about right. My one lfs sells is for $1 per gallon so .75 isnt bad. Seems like you're on the right track :).

I would add don't trust your lfs, do your own research and use that to determine what you think you can handle

Yeah I don't think I will be buying anything from this place again before doing my research. Just glad I didn't spend 100 bucks in a nice piece and have it die. Glad I at least started small and cheap.

Yeah I don't think I will be buying anything from this place again before doing my research. Just glad I didn't spend 100 bucks in a nice piece and have it die. Glad I at least started small and cheap.

That's the best way to do it. Buy small cheap frags. That way we are not taking direct colonies off the reef as well.

Is it possible this isn't a green slimmer and in fact something else? Either way I guess it's not looking to good..

I would also suggest not buying fresh cut SPS frags if there is any choice. I try to only buy frags that have successfully put down their footing on the plug. The frag will not grow until that footing starts to cover the plug. Some folks frag and sell immediately. Better sellers leave the frag for a few weeks to be sure it has established itself after fragging.

Bribos plug shows this clearly.

No sounds about right. My one lfs sells is for $1 per gallon so .75 isnt bad. Seems like you're on the right track :).

Omg! .75 or $1 per gallon is ridiculous. I buy my water for .25/gallon for now. I'll invest in a rodi unit eventually. But you really NEED to buy your own rodi filter at those prices. It's only slightly more expensive to buy from lfs than my own rodi for me. But at those prices the unit would pay for itself quickly.

Remember the cost of the RO/DI is just the beginning, cartridges, membranes and resin adds up. But it's still preferable and cheaper than toting water from the LFS.

Remember the cost of the RO/DI is just the beginning, cartridges, membranes and resin adds up. But it's still preferable and cheaper than toting water from the LFS.
True it does add up. But depending on how dirty the source water is, at those prices it would be far cheaper to go with your own rodi unit.

I live in NY nothing is cheap here. Plus I only have a 30 gallon for now and no place to put a RO unit in my apartment.

Sorry don't mean to highjack this thread but have a really quick question here ....
I had a green slimmer and it was in my tank for several months and was growing then it started bleaching from the bottom all the way to the top within 2 weeks.
Someone told me that it was parasites that do that is that correct?
Only changes made in the tank was my lights I went from T-5 to the Led Lights.

Which LEDs? Could be poor water quality or bleaching from the LEDs without proper light acclimation.

Back
Top Bottom