Green star polyp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elmo1287

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got my green star polyp how long does it take for it to open and are 4 t5 good enough light for this coral

Attachments

• image-3176601579.jpg
    image-3176601579.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 188
Yeah gsp can grow in low light with high flow. Should open in 24 hours. It spreads quick so put it on a rock and it will take off!

Move it from the floor then? And remove my chocolate chip star

Yes remove the star. Gsp does well under any lighting and moderate to high flow. They will tell you when something is off in the tank. If they are fully extended everything is good. One trick is to run carbon in your tank for a bit and they should open up.

How long does it usually take for them to start spreading?

Depends on water conditions. They will kinda shut down if water isn't clean enough in my experience. Polyps start slow if they are a small frag but when they spread they spread faster and faster. I had like 10 red zoas and the first 2 months they spread to like 20ish then in 4 months there are like 100 +

Well I've had this polyp in my tank since 8:30 this morning I got it shipped from California to Kansas took about three days and tracked it and right when it arrived in my town I went to the post office and picked it up did all my test 0 across the board it's now 2:02 and it still looks like it did I just added two pantie hoes of carbon one in the fuge and other at the end of my return from the pump in the display tank removed my chocolate chip to my smaller tank looks like he is doing well and just waiting for this to open up

When i first got mine it took about a day also. Jus be patient.

Well I've had this polyp in my tank since 8:30 this morning I got it shipped from California to Kansas took about three days and tracked it and right when it arrived in my town I went to the post office and picked it up did all my test 0 across the board it's now 2:02 and it still looks like it did I just added two pantie hoes of carbon one in the fuge and other at the end of my return from the pump in the display tank removed my chocolate chip to my smaller tank looks like he is doing well and just waiting for this to open up

Don't wait for gsp to open. You may be waiting awhile. Sometimes they just don't open for a 2-10days they say that sometimes they will retreat for awhile inorder to clean themselves. My gsp will one day close and stay closed for a few days then reopen. They are rather unkillable so just wait it out. In I looks like there's stuff on them gently blow it off this probably isn't the problem however. The best and only thing you can do is make sure your nitrates are low And have carbon in your tank. Then wait 2 days and if they arnt open move them to an area with different flow and lighting conditions. And just do this tell they open. The last frag of gsp I got i put it on the bottom of my tank and it wouldn't open so I moved it to the top and it opened within an hour. But give them a day or two before moving them again because sometimes they just get stressed.

Love my GSP, but a word of caution..... if it's not kept in check, it will overrun your tank (and other corals). I just got done talking to someone else about this very thing... Below are two pics two months apart of my neon GSP, and if you notice, it's on it's very own rock away from everything else. That way it doesn't spread to the rest of my system.... I can pull out that rock & trim it without having to tear apart my tank.
First pic is the day after I brought it home, and the second is just a couple days ago. It takes a while to get going, but the bigger it gets, the faster it spreads.....

Attachments

• _DSC7326.JPG
    _DSC7326.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 153
  • photo34.JPG
    photo34.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 188
Love my GSP, but a word of caution..... if it's not kept in check, it will overrun your tank (and other corals).

+1

We keep giving away bits of ours that grow out in an unattached 'flap' of flesh. But when attached to the rock I've found no easy way to remove it without scraping it into mush. Feels like murder.

- D

Well mines just on the bottom I'm at work now I have moon lights for my tank so I hope all is well tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom