Grow out baby Tang in a nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finnster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright, preparing for the hate; But let me explain before you start yelling, I am planning to get a larger tank in 1 month or so. Can I grow out baby 1" Blues or Yellow in a 29g BioCube? They would only be in there for 2 months tops. Can they have tank mates or should it just be them?

Thanks,
Finnster:fish2:

Why not just wait till you get the bigger tank, less stress on the fish being chased down, stressed to be moved 2 times in 2 months. Also good plans go astray sometime, it really makes no sense

I'm purely FW and even this caught my eye lol. I was wondering if you are basically going to have a quarantine tank for 2 months? Depends what else is there I guess but out of interest if that might be another way to look at it.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will just wait then.

Good advice. The thing about tangs, no matter the size, is that they are open water swimmers. They need the large tanks no matter their size as to best be like their natural environment. This is why most tangs need a 6ft long tank.

What about a Dwarf Angel, Flame or CB? Or a Longnose Hawk? Will either pick at my inverts (Peppermint Shrimp, SSC Shrimp, Porcelain Crab, Hermits)? And if I were to get a Dwarf Angel any corals I can get that it wont nip? Any other recommended centerpieces?

In a word, yes you can. I am doing that with a undulated trigger.
BUT you will most likely have far greater success if you wait and get ones that are larger and more mature. Getting those babies to eat and thrive could be a challenge in itself.

I have almost bought babies before, blue tangs and heniochus, knowing that I couldn't keep them long term and that was only because I don't like seeing fish starving in the store as most "infant" fish do, but I passed on them because 90% chance it would be throwing $$$ away.

also bear in mind that unless huge, cube shaped tanks provide some of the least amount of actual swimming space of different shapes available and are more suited to reefs/nano fish.

All VERY good advice. That's why I like this forum. Surgeonfish health is directly controlled by their levels of stress. In a big environment, even a small tang reaps the benefits of having spaces to run and holes to hide in. After almost 30 years of dealing with tangs and observing them in the wild, you will almost never see illness in your tangs if you meet these needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom