Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It's a 100 gallon tank (as advertised). My calculations put it at closer to 90g. 60x18x20.

20g Sump
reef octopus in sump skimmer
Magnum 350 filter
Carbon bed under overflow
korallin 1502 calcium reactor (not hooked up at moment)
60" aquaticlife t-5 HO light fixture
2x 12k 54 watts
2x 460 54 watts
950 gph return
2 x 1200 gph circulation pumps

Cycled with 40 lb live rock and later added 50 lb dry rock. 60 lbs aragonite and 2 cups live sand.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Fish
It's a 100 gallon tank (as advertised). My calculations put it at closer to 90g. 60x18x20.

20g Sump
reef octopus in sump skimmer
Magnum 350 filter
Carbon bed under overflow
korallin 1502 calcium reactor (not hooked up at moment)
60" aquaticlife t-5 HO light fixture
2x 12k 54 watts
2x 460 54 watts
950 gph return
2 x 1200 gph circulation pumps

Cycled with 40 lb live rock and later added 50 lb dry rock. 60 lbs aragonite and 2 cups live sand.
Looks good. Just something to be aware of, canisters can cause a nutrient problem in turn causing an algae problem. I dont recommend them however something that could help with you algae that i see you dont have is a GFO reactor. Cheap and no reason not to have one. It will constantly help keep your phosphates in check and help avoid algae problems.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #13

Checked phosphates they are at 0.
The overall water quality is better than ever and the critters are very active and eating constantly exposing more and more Coraline. Will definitely let it rest and make sure things are stable before adding anything else. I'm not a big fan of canisters either but I had this one and decided to give it a shot. It seems to work fairly well, but I also clean it 2-3 times a week.
I appreciate all your comments.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Fish
Checked phosphates they are at 0.
The overall water quality is better than ever and the critters are very active and eating constantly exposing more and more Coraline. Will definitely let it rest and make sure things are stable before adding anything else. I'm not a big fan of canisters either but I had this one and decided to give it a shot. It seems to work fairly well, but I also clean it 2-3 times a week.
I appreciate all your comments.
Thats a good cleaning schedule for it. Also testing 0 phosphates does not mean your phosphates are 0. Algae binds phosphate and nitrate only way to get out the nitrate and phosphate is to manually remove it. It getting eat only frees up that nitrate and phosphate for more algae. The process will continue. To eliminate it you have to remove it along with controlling all nutrients.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Thats a good cleaning schedule for it. Also testing 0 phosphates does not mean your phosphates are 0. Algae binds phosphate and nitrate only way to get out the nitrate and phosphate is to manually remove it. It getting eat only frees up that nitrate and phosphate for more algae. The process will continue. To eliminate it you have to remove it along with controlling all nutrients.
That's good to know. I obviously still have a lot to learn. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it returns. I'm not in a hurry and am trying to do this right, but as it goes when I think I have something figured out and take the next step I always come across something I missed.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's the great thing about saltwater; there's always more and more to learn!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Understanding water chemistry and biology of marine organisms is key. Obviously this is a vast subject thats hard to wrap your head around but alot of information that will help you understand so much even if you learn a little it can go a long way in avoiding problems and how to fix them when they occur. My head hurts thinking about how much ive read and how many hours ive poured over numerous articles, studies, youtube, forums, blogs etc. after all that and years if experience you still learn new things continuously. I still consider myself a beginner in that sense.

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com