Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the best thing to have in your tank to eat/get rid of hair algae?

Emerald crab does some work on hair Algae or lawn mower blenny. But your levels will be high so up the water changes and a large water change ASAP, don't dose anything.

Dosing things only masks the problem doesn't solve it. It's like putting a bandage on a cut that needs stitches

Ya I've been away for a week with my friend watching the tank so the algae isn't very unexpected since I couldn't watch the tank but I was just wondering what eats hair algae. So just emerald crabs and that blenny?

I spray the algae with a syringe and peroxide. Turn the filter off for 15 min and apply on the spot where algae is. It will turn pink/light brown and die off.

I wouldn't put any peroxide in the display. You can raise your mag levels to 1600-1700 with Kent Tech-M and this will kill off the bryopsis in about a week.

I'm not one for adding livestock to get rid of something. When I had it before I would pick it of the rocks and remove it when doing wc, rinse fingers with fresh ro before doing next bit. Most cuc won't touch it if it's long so when it starts to grow again they will eat the new bits. Aswell as getting nitrates and phosphates down doing this I got rid of it in few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom