hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am getting some hair algae in the main. Just a few patches so far. Checked the phosphates and they are at .25....so I am mixing up 20g to do a w/c....what else can I do? What eats this ugly stuff?

We had it pretty bad in our 20g. We started pulling it out every day and added an extra 10 hermits to the tank. After about a week of this, it just stopped growing. I don't know if it was the crabs, or if by pulling it out, we interrupted the growing cycle/breeding cycle. I don't know how it spreads obviously , but you get the picture.

what kinda hermits? I am planning on the water change in the morning and I am pulling the 3 rocks to scrub in the old tank water, maybe this will help. It's not bad yet but one patch is growing next to some zoo's so I better pull the rocks and go ahead with the dirty work :wink:

Blue leg hermits and emerald crabs should do the trick. I have found if you pick at it it will spread all over, i would recommend water changes and hermits and emeralds or removing the rock from the tank and using a tooth brush to scrub a little off. HTH

I had it bad! It took me a while to rid it all. I added emerald crabs, blue legged hermits, scarlet hermits, turbo grazer and then manually removed the larger patches.

Just yesterday I took all the rocks (about 60-70 lbs) out of my tank and used a brand new toilet scrubber to get all the hair algae off. Also cleaned all pumps and skimmer, added new carbon, and did a 20 gallon water change (in a 46 gallon tank).

Tank looks good this morning, but I am very fearful that the stuff will be back before I know it. This never-ending battle is wearing me out. :(

Back
Top Bottom