Halide Lighting for 46 Gallon Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr86mister

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey Everyone!
So, I do tons of research constantly for things and I'm having a few issues finding some answers so I would like to rely on you guys!

I just bought a 46 Bowfront, with stand, Seaclone Protein Skimmer up to 100gallon tanks, UV Sterilizer, the massive Marineland HOB Filter, 40 lbs live rock, 40 lbs live sand, large powerhead, submersible heather, 2 39w t5 Actinic Bulbs with the Glo lighting system, stock lighting, 50lb bucket of salt, 3 damsels, maroon clownfish and a few snails...I think that's it...lol.:multi::multi:

All for only $120. CRAIGSLIST IS GOD!! (and it all works perfectly fine)

So I moved all of my Biocube stuff over and have a few low light corals so for now they are fine! In there...I got rid of the Maroon Clownfish because he is meaner than the damsels. Ok, now to the point...I am looking for a good lighting fixture for this to support almost anything. Would a lighting fixture with only one Metal Halide Bulb in the center cover the majority of the tank if I mount it on its legs on the top (I can't hang from ceiling) The measurements of the aquarium are 37Lx17Wx21H.

Sorry its long. Thanks Guys!:D

Exactly, according to your thread its that darn plastic connection in the middle that makes me nervous. I want to get rid of it but I'm pretty sure it helps hold the aquarium together. I don't mind putting lower light corals along the sides under the t5's but I was hoping that one Halide light would be able to cover pretty much the tank itself.

The Double Halide fixtures have 2 MH lamps that would not be blocked by the brace. The only thing is they are really expensive. I am thinking the Nova Extreme Pro with 6 T5's may be the way to go but there would still be limits on what could be kept

Yeah true, I have been eyeing to have a Clam so do you think that the double MH would be fine for the aquarium?

I have the Nova Extreme Pro. I got it on ebay for about $300.

I have the Nova Extreme Pro. I got it on ebay for about $300.
What size tank is it for? I looked on e-bay the 36" 6bulb T5 Nova extreme Pro was $305 new with shipping. Not sure if its enough light for optimum SPS growth although SPS could be kept the growth would not be optimal. I really have no idea just making assumptions based on what I have heard.

I guess there is a big divide between t5's and MH these days. As I've been searching all over the place it seems that the technology of t5's are beginning to become more advanced than MH's. This I don't know but t5's are great I just seem like the look of Halides more and more.

I have a 55G so it is the 48 incher.
Look for this person:
jerl77
He is very responsive.

I have a 46 bowfront too, and have been scouring Ebay for a deal on lighting. I've almost completely sold myself on needing MH lighting, but I have no plans right now to keep any SPS corals. I just don't want to sink the cash into a lighting set-up that might not be adequate in the future. I have the crossbeam also. I'm really liking the 2x150w MH with LEDs. It seems like every really nice tank I see pics of has MH lighting.

I jumped the gun and went for the 2x96w Coralife Lunar Aqualight Compact Flourescent I spent $215 dollars I can keep soft corals LPS etc... I can't keep SPS or high light corals. Now I am stuck having to re-buy a fixture Its either about $300 for the 6 bulb T5 (234w) Or $420 for the 1x150W MH with 2x96w CF(MH bulb in center in way of brace) or I can spend $630 for the 2x150W MH with 4 t5bulbs and the MH bulbs would not be blocked by the brace. I can't make up my mind???

I understand. If you do have the money to get that double MH w/ t5 Why not? But I'm sure you are like me and do not have the money to simply spend on it...lol. Obviously though there is no problem with mixing MH and t5, that seems to be the ultimate lighting other than being out under the sun.

I was eyeballing a 36" Current Sun Pod 2x150w with lunar lights. It seems pretty economical (under $250), and definitely has the wattage. It doesn't have the T5s, but I think those might be overkill anyways. From what I've read, the only reason to have T5s is to counterbalance the bright white of the MH lights with some actinic. It also does away with the whole issue of the support piece in the middle of the tank. If you guys think differently, I'm listening.

I am thinking about if the 2 MH's were too white and I wanted more Actinic I would find a retrokit to put on both sides of the Halide fixture. It's also the bulbs though that make it more blueish or not. I heard 14K is a great balance of both blue and white

I personally love the blue actinic color and wouldn't feel right not having it. It really makes the colors stand out.; The colors are why I love saltwater over freshwater.

I hear that, and I agree. The set up I'm looking at has a mix of blue and white LEDs instead of T5s. The cost is way less using the LEDs, but I'm not sure how they look in the tank.

Yeah, LED's are making a full charge into the aquarium world. So, does anyone have LED's that they use,to help us understand how well they compare to Actinic's? (Hopefully some people will read this and let us know)

Did you use them as a part of the actual daytime fixture or only as moonlighting? Now I'm not sure if I already asked but is MH enough on aquariums to suffice for corals or is the Actinic t5 always recommended to help with the spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom