Hammer Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Saw a small piece of Hammer Coral at LFS today. Now, all the hammer coral I have seen to date has been a brown or green color. I think I have seen some orangeish colored hammer before. This one was WHITE. Recalling my lesson learned from my BTA....Is it safe to assume this coral is BLEACHED? I didnt know corals could bleach like anemones do.

Yes corals can bleach too but the severity is what you are concerned about. When I first got mine it was white but after some time it turned pink. It depends alot on your lighting. You can check mine out in my gallery.

Here is the pics of mine when I first got it and now.

Sorry I dont know what happened on the second pic but just click on it and it will go to the right color.

Attachments

• 01010068_140.jpg
    01010068_140.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_0179_191.jpg
    100_0179_191.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 59
I agree. If the flesh looks good, meaning all the polyps are open and nothing looks damaged (and the LFS is willing to discount the coral for you!) I don't see a reason why you can't get it and nurse it back to health. I did the same with a brain coral. Good as new now. :)

Back
Top Bottom