Hammer coral HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigben2057

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ive had this hammer for about 2 weeks and it had been doing fine until yesterday. I have no clue what is wrong all other corals are fine and even the other polyp is fine?? What could be wrong? Nirite-0 nitrate-0 ammonia- 0 salinity 1.024. phosphate-0

Attachments

• DSC04019.jpg
    DSC04019.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 132
It shouldn't be laying in the sand like that, stand it up. It's probably been rubbing on the sand, irritating it. The white part just below the head should not be in the sand either. This might be the problem.
Good luck with it!

It could be a number of things. Something might of touched it, It might not like where it's at, it could be just doing it when the lights change on and off, a lot of corals do that. I wouldnt be too worried unless it stays closed for a day or two. Try moving it around if it doesn't look happy where it's at.

Ok i had it on my rocks and i moved it today because i thought it didn't like the spot ill move it back

bigben2057 said:
Ok i had it on my rocks and i moved it today because i thought it didn't like the spot ill move it back

That's your problem! Expect a coral to stay closed for a while of you move it, just acclimating to its new environment.

no i moved it because it was closed.. thinking it didnt like the spot was why i thought it closed up

Oh gotcha. Well, good luck, I bet it will bounce back in the spot it was in.

If it doesn't work though, they like medium to low flow, just to keep their tentacles moving. It should look like its flowing. It doesn't like too much light either, try to keep it in medium light. Here's mine :)

Its in low flow at the lower part of my tank, I have high powered lighting.

Ok. Thanks so much for the help. That's a nice hammer, I will keep and eye on it and move it to a lower flow if it dose not improve.

needmorecowbell said:
Oh gotcha. Well, good luck, I bet it will bounce back in the spot it was in.

If it doesn't work though, they like medium to low flow, just to keep their tentacles moving. It should look like its flowing. It doesn't like too much light either, try to keep it in medium light. Here's mine :)

Its in low flow at the lower part of my tank, I have high powered lighting.

Looks more like a frogspawn to me

View attachment 99285

This is a Hammer

Definitely take her off the sand and find a spot on a rock near the bottom of the tank. My frog spawn totally closes at night when the tank is dark and opens up when the light comes on.

Attachments

• image-3396896378.jpg
    image-3396896378.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 103
it looks like the two affected polyps are dead? They must have been infected with something>? The other one is still fine should I frag it to prevent it from dying too?? If so ive never fraged a LPS any advice would be great thanks.

You shouldn't have to frag it, to keep the other alive. Unless you wanted to just for looks. I would just put it somewhere with med light and med/low flow, and see what happens. It could make a comeback. The faltering heads could have been getting scraped on the rocks, then placed in the sand, they could just be really irritated. Give it a little bit of time in a good spot, without moving it.
Hope it turns around for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom