Hanging Taotronics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, so I've had my dimmable Taos for about 3-4 weeks now. I've been busy the past month so haven't hung them yet. They've been sitting in top of my plastic cover. I am still having trouble on hanging them. My dad and I tried hanging them from the ceiling but out ceiling isn't strong enough to drill anything into. I was thinking of maybe buying a plant hanger? But can't really find one that's 20in long (20 in minimum to reach from wall to the center of my tank). I've seen a couple of creations of PVC pipe but don't know how to assemble. If you have any ideas, creations, or hangers you know of that I could buy/make please chime in!

Jake

Simple solution. Buy a length of steel band. (i go 1/8th or so thick. Bend it to an l-shape, then weld a cross brace. Its a simple shape that is easy to replicate and costs a few dollars

Mount a shelf above the tank and hang the lights from the shelf. Make sure to mount the shelf into the studs, drywall anchors are not good enough.

Or maybe "L" brackets that are normally used for a book shelf, get some wire, attatch to the bracket and your done!

Mount a shelf above the tank and hang the lights from the shelf. Make sure to mount the shelf into the studs, drywall anchors are not good enough.

I really like this idea, it would help with my raising and lowering of lights.

I am assuming your ceiling is drywall and not suspended. If so then get a piece of white shelving or plywood and paint/finish to your liking. Make it large enough to look centered above your tank yet span at least two rafters. This will likely be outside the area of your tank and the main screws will be off to one side. The screws that miss can go into drywall anchors. It will look completely planned this way and will have more than enough strength to hang the lights.

Trusting a drywall anchor to hang anything above a fish tank is just asking for trouble. If you must hang it from the ceiling then just climb into the attic/crawl-space and add a 2x4, or two, between the studs in the ceiling using hurricane straps.

Actually the anchor is supporting nothing but allowing the gap to be closed between the wood and the drywall. This is why it must span at least two rafters or floor joists if it is in the basement. They will be where the weight is supported so the anchors are strictly for the cosmetics of having the base tight to the ceiling all the way across rather than leaving the offset end of the base hanging slightly away from the ceiling.

Imo you shouldnt hang anything (anything at all) above a fish tank unless its either 1) anchored into actual wood, or 2) braced buy a piece of wood thats in turn anchored to wood

If your fixture falls its going to short out, possibly cause a fire, or even break the tank causing your entire tank ending up on your floor, or maybe a combination of them all. I dont know about you but the time alone ive invested in my tank isnt worth even the slightest risk of a falling fixture. Thats why when my leds get here, they will be securely anchored to the wall via lag bolts.

cover tank then make a small hole in ceiling were light will hang,run something thru the hole (wire,big gulp straw or a stick. Go in the attic locate your hole and Put a piece of plywood in the attic above your tank screw it into the rafters. Then you have a secure place to screw into or drill a hole and use a eyebolt. I did it twice each time different the one on top of the rafters was easier but I had to find a longer eye bolt. The other one I placed the wood on the ceiling and used L brackets to secure it

Attachments

• image-3058331297.jpg
    image-3058331297.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 88
I made a wood canopy/hood for aquarium that I hung my lights from. I attached small chain links to the four mounting attachments on the lights and sunk 4 screw in hooks into the canopy. The chain links allow me to adjust the hight to my liking.

Ceiling is hollow but Use screws with brace holds fine ( don't remember what they're actually cslled). I have two in ceiling and they hold three plus canopy

image-4092820703.jpg

Like this

Thanks everyone for the responses and advice. I really like this idea though. What did you use? I also found that if I use the hanging kit that came with the LEDs, the fixture keeps turning around. How did you guys keep yours from moving around?

1/2 inch square tubing tig welded in a u shape with a plate mounted to the stand. Took me about a hour. I can take closer pictures if you need them.

Sorry if I make sure all the carabeeners are right it seems to stay square.

Quick question everyone. I'm using the same hanging kit the fixture came with. How do you keep the fixture from spinning? As I hold it up the fixture just keeps twisting.

Back
Top Bottom