Heater Lifespan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK guys, my heater just **** the bed! I cought it before it turned my tank into soup, but the Tank is at 87f right now. I had this heater since i got the tank almost 2 years ago. Is this about the lifespan of a tank heater or what? I keep reading about people having their heaters crap out after a couple of years. Anybody have a heater last longer than this?

I have a thermalcompact 100W submersible which I've had in a FW, and I got it from a friend. Its at least 6-8 years old.

I like my Ebo-Jager. I also have some "proquatics" heaters which have a stuck thermostat.

What kind of heater is this?

In my 75 I have an old ebo-jager heater that I dont know how old it is. I know it looks different than the current models of ebo-jager. I also had/have a heater that has been in my 20gal for at least 6 years with no hickups.

To be honest, i dont know what brand of heater this is. Its still in my tank (unplugged) and so covered with coraline, I cant tell.

Go with an ebo-jager or visi-therm.
The ebo's now all have auto shutoffs...if it gets too hot due to being left on when the water is drained, or if the thermostat fails, it'll shut off.
go with bigals.com their ebo's are under $20

Hey thanks for the link. I was going to get an ebo anyway. This saves me time. How is bigals on delivery lately? Used to be pretty terrible.

I decieded to go with the Via-Aqua 200Watt Titanium heater. I ordered it from Bigalsonline today. Its anyones guess when it will get delivered. :roll:

stresco said:
Its still in my tank (unplugged) and so covered with coraline, I cant tell.

Could this have caused issues with the heater functioning properly?

The coraline? Maybe? I dont really know. There are no working external parts other than the dial on top to set the temp, so i doubt it.

I just thought maybe it would cause the thermostat to malfunction...I guess that doesn't really make any sense, I doin't think it would have any affect on the heater.

Back
Top Bottom