HELP! 14 hour power outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torontofc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, my power just restored from a 14 hour power outage, and my sailfin tang and bicolor blenny died, but suprisingly my yellow tang and blue tang is still alive. My yellow tang is acting very stress and nervous and my blue tang is stuck at a corner and just breathing normally, i try to push her out of the corner incase my cleaning crew starts to attack her, but shes is refusing to be moved. i need help i would like to know what should i do to my tangs and my whole aquarium overall????? Should I turn on the lights again, or should I leave it off. And should I feed them in the next few days?

I would try to feed at the normal time food soaked in garlic to hopeful entice them to eat. Did the tank happen to get too hot or too cold while the power was out?

My best wild guess would be the oxygen level in the water dropped due to no flow.

Tip for the future, if you're home when this happens try to stir the water.

I would try to feed at the normal time food soaked in garlic to hopeful entice them to eat. Did the tank happen to get too hot or too cold while the power was out?

My best wild guess would be the oxygen level in the water dropped due to no flow.

Tip for the future, if you're home when this happens try to stir the water.

Ok, thanks, I always soak my brine shrimps with garlic and no the tank was at normal temperature, I had a back-up power thing but it failed, it worked for 10 mins and it stopped, I put a battery power oxygen pump after that, I guess the thats not enough, some fish still didn't make it. But thanks for your tip, I will take notes.

Well the battery oxygen pump should have solved that issue. Not to sure why they would have died so fast then.

torontofc said:
that's what Im wondering too, I thought the oxygen pump could at least keep them alive for 15 hours

If you had low oxygen levels to begin with the pump wouldn't help much. Im sure there atleast some temp fluctuation without anyway to maintain it. That and the combined stress mixed with any unseen health problems before the blackout easily explain the deaths. Ph also takes a major nose dive when this happens especially in reef tanks.

I would feed as normal but keep the lights off for now unless you have coral etc. Also go pick up some prime and stress coat and ad some as directed to help your tank and fish recover. Also keeping the air pump in for a few days would help get oxygen levels back up to peak.

If you had low oxygen levels to begin with the pump wouldn't help much. Im sure there atleast some temp fluctuation without anyway to maintain it. That and the combined stress mixed with any unseen health problems before the blackout easily explain the deaths. Ph also takes a major nose dive when this happens especially in reef tanks.

I would feed as normal but keep the lights off for now unless you have coral etc. Also go pick up some prime and stress coat and ad some as directed to help your tank and fish recover. Also keeping the air pump in for a few days would help get oxygen levels back up to peak.

i know the temp didn't have a problem, and they didn't seem weak before the incident occur, maybe the pH was the problem. Thanks

Ya, I do hae corals in there. i did put in some prime and stress coat immediately after the power restored. i'll put the oxygen pump back now, but will that affect my corals? And is there a way that I can find out the current oxygen level?

Back
Top Bottom