Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2003, 01:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

HELP! IM LOSING MY BRAIN

I came home last night and saw that my open brain coral has lost about half of its flesh. my water is good and everything else is thriving. when i first bought it a couple of weeks ago i thought it would look good on top of some rocks, but just recently read that they should be out of the direct light. when it started to bleach out i put it on the sand, but now its half way gone. its now under some rocks so its not in the direct light. any thought of why it is dieing? is 4 65w pc lights too much for a brain? is there any way to revive it? please help!!

Old 09-23-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I would leave it on the bottom and hope for the best. The zooanthane in its skin has probably been damaged and that is a major source of food for the coral.

Old 09-23-2003, 03:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

is there any way to replenish the the zooanthane? are there like any products or anything i can use? thanks for the reply
Old 09-23-2003, 05:08 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

If a coral is stressed/bleached, it will need to be fed actual meaty foods, as it cannot "feed" via it's symbiotic algae (Zooxanthellae). It will also need to be kept in a shaded/indirectly lit area while it recovers.

Trying feeding it small pieces of any raw seafood (scallops, clams, oysters, etc.) soaked in a good marine vitamin (Selcon, or Zoe are both good). The best time to feed an Open Brain is later in the day/evening. Just gently tuck the food into it's "folds".

You don't have any dwarf angels that are picking at the coral, do you?

Here's a good article to read:

>>The Tragedy of Artificially Colored Live Corals<< -- yes, I realize the article is about dyed corals - but in the article, there is good information on how to bring these corals to recovery. Since dyed corals have lost their symbiotic algae, their care should be similar to what your coral requires.

Another good article: >>Acclimating Photosynthetic Reef Invertebrates to Captive Lighting<<

One more, specific to care of the Open Brain coral:

>>Open-Brain, Rose Coral, Family Trachyphylliidae<<

HTH!
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 05:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow this helps tremendously thanks so much for your help. hopefully it'll pull through for me.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:20 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Best of luck ... keep us posted!

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com