Help me decide and tell me why!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok...so here's the deal. I've been struggling for about six months what to do with my tanks. I have a 54 gallon corner tank with African Cichlids, a 30 gallon tank with Goldfish, and an empty 76 gallon half circle reef ready tank.

In setting up the 76, I can't decide between the following (keep in mind the Goldfish are heading out to the backyard pond):

A) Build the 76 as a freshwater for three of my Livingstonii Cichlids to give them room to grow and hopefully breed. That would thin down the 54 giving my other cichlids more room. I could then use the 30 to put any fry from the Livingstonii's until they were large enough to put back into the 76.

B) Build the 76 as my first saltwater reef, leaving the other tanks as is.

I love Africans, especially the Livingstonii. At the same time I have always wanted a reef tank. HELP!!!

Attachments

• image-3829941457.jpg
    image-3829941457.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 115
  • image-957231662.jpg
    image-957231662.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 109
  • image-826566211.jpg
    image-826566211.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 107
If you build the 76 into a reef, be prepared to drop a ton of $$ into it. If you don't have that right now then stick with option A and provide more room for happy fishies :)

The 76 is reef ready for a reason.....reef, reef, reef, reef........did I mention.............reef.....LOL

You came to a Saltwater forum asking people if you should do reef or freshwater... hmmm... REEF!

AND here is why. I love my 54 gallon, BUT since your's is already set-up as fresh - keep it that way. A 76 gallon is a good size for a starter tank, and the water volumn will help buffer mistakes you make.

You won't have to re-setup the freshwater into the 76, clean everything and start again, you'll just be starting from scratch.

HOWEVER, as stated above, expect to drop in upwards $2000 - $3000 for a nice reef in a tank that size. Keep an eye for Craigslist for deals on rock, and equipment.

I actually posted in both the reef section and cichlids section so I could get an assortment of replays. You mentioned $2000-3000. I'm curious where those numbers come from and if you could be more specific? Admittedly, while knowing its more expensive I haven't looked to much at the expense of the livestock to go into a reef.

As far as hardware, what I already have for the 76 is of course the tank, an Aqueon ProFlex Model 3 Sump, Pondmaster Magnetic Drive 9.5 Pump, and a Coralife 30" HO T5 with 10000k 31 watt and a Actinic 31watt. At this point that is where I would be starting from if I went reef.

I'll write out a nice reply, but it'll take me a few so don't think I'm ignorng you. Give me a few.

As stated already reefs can be very expensive depending on how you decide to do it.. I have right around $2k-$2500 tied into my 46. Id say expect to spend roughly $50-$100 per gallon on a nice complete reef

And how deep is that tank by the way because for a successful reef you need to be able to provide adequate light which is gonna almost always gonna be one of your most expensive items...needless to say deeper the tank stronger the light needed which means more $

You have a fantastic start with equipment, but I didn’t know that at first so:

Lights: You will NEED a better light. Want SPS – AquaticLife 6 bulb t5 = $470 or go LED’s – stick with Chinese panels, probably need 3 * 125 = $375. Or go high end like AI sols – at least 2 at $500 = $1000. Or (2) Radions for $1500.

Sump - $250 for Aqueon Proflex Model 3

Pump – Danner or Quiet one - $100-150

Plumbing - $50

Powerheads – Koralia’s – you will need about 3800gph total for a reef. (2) 1400’s and (2) 750’s placed strategically throughout the tank. $170. Or high end – (2) Vortech MP40W ES - $930.

Heater - $30-50

Salt Mix – 200 gallon box for $53

FULL Live Rock – 76 * 1.5lbs = 114 lbs – *2 = 152. * $6/lb = ($684 - $912)

COMBO: Base Rock – 76 * 90% = 68.4 lbs * 1.5 = 102.6 * 2.50/ lb = $256 + shipping = $300 + 10% Live = 11.4 * 6.00 = $68 up to $91 + shipping for 2lbs per gallon.

Basically $350-400 for Rock. Sand is another $30.

In a big tank like that frags, or tiny coral you grow out will basically get lost. If you want the impact of a full grown coral, you’re looking at $35-$100+ for each coral. In my 54 gallon I have 24 full grown corals and (2) frags. The full grown average at $25 on the conservative, side.

So I’ve got $600 in corals in my 54 gallon corner, and I’m pretty full, but not completely.

Livestock:

Clean Up Crew (CUC) - $50

No CUC inverts - $20 each

Fish:

Depends on what you get, but average for SW fish is about $20. For example my fish are, (2) B/W clowns - $80, Midas Blenny $40, Purple Firefish $25, and Pink Spot watchman goby $25.
I’ve got (5) fish at $170. I’ve lost several fish due to rookie mistakes, miscellaneous mistakes, unknown reason. That adds up to another $100+.

RO/DI unit to make your own water – TAP water is out for a REEF. $100 for a nice one.

REEF test kits - $30 for main ones and $25-30 for each specific test – Magnesium, calcium, etc. High end – Hannah checkers - $50 each.

Algae scrapers, cleaning cloths, dedicated towels, - $50

Brute trash cans to store water - $32 plus an extra Koralia 750 for mixing - $30.

Powerstrip / GFCI outlet – $40

ATO – DIY - $35 – Good one - $80 + pump = $95 total

Refractometer (A MUST)- $35

Skimmer - $250

Food – Want a variety – Flake $6, Frozen $8, Nori $4

Feeding clips - $10

Epoxy for rocks - $15

Thermometer - $4

APPROXIMATE TOTAL: $3200

Subtract your equipment and your still looking at around $2800.

+1 Must say you broke that down pretty good lol but I would say that is even on the conservative side (take into consideration rookie mistakes for purchases too, I know I made them haha)

Absolutely - that's at the low end of the spectrum. Easily add another 5-600 misc. and another $2000 for high-end lights and PH's.

WOW....that's the kind of list I've been looking for. Thanks!

And thanks for helping me decide that the Livingstonii will love there new home! Haha. I'll still start piecing this list together but I actually thought I had gotten the most expensive part out of the way. It'll take me awhile but I like working towards something. I guess that's why we don't all have a 500 gallon tank in the middle of our living rooms....yet!

That breakdown was on point. I stopped thinking about what ive spent on my tank...and i still have another radion to buy! Id highly suggest the chinese leds that were mentioned. Id have gone that route, but the radions offer what i need with my odd work schedule and one cord.

Thanks - I'm quite happy that I came up with that list so quickly. I've never actually done a breakdown of my own tank, so it was interesting to see. To the OP, I hope you consider down the road taking a chance at saltwater. I've never done fresh, so I am biased, but the word on the street is Saltwater is a whole new experience. Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions!

One last thing, if you decide to make the 54 corner a SW tank, here is my build thread - Its very long, but a lot of questions were answered along the way.

Hope this helps: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/tims-54-gallon-corner-going-reef-165782.html

Oh I will definitely work towards SW. I have always loved all the varieties of corals. They are amazing. It hard to believe they are not as fragile as they appear in water. I will say though, that if you do ever try a freshwater, go with Africans Cichlids. Livingstonii are my favorites so far. They are all very active and aggressive. It is so enjoyable to watch them chase after one another, piss each other off, and then ignore each other. The activity is almost constant. They come in hundreds of variety and often sport coloring as magnificent as saltwater fish.

Thanks again and when I get that build goin, I'll be sure to share.

Well I went ahead and set it up tonight for African cichlids. I have a question though you all may be able to help me with. After filling the sump, I filled the tank up to the point that it barely started into the overflow box. I then turned on the pump. As soon as it began to circulate and fill the overflow box, I noticed a leak on the underside of the tank coming from around the plastic nut holding in the intake bulkhead. I tried to tighten the nut but I couldn't get it to stop dripping. Fortunately, it is dripping over and into the sump. How can I fix it without completely draining the tank? If I do have to drain it, how do I empty the overflow box?

This is the setup.

Attachments

• image-1055260534.jpg
    image-1055260534.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image-320050695.jpg
    image-320050695.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 45
  • image-3984771719.jpg
    image-3984771719.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 42
Back