Help me select Cleanup Crew Package

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Help me Select a Cleanup Crew Package

• Package A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Package B

• Package C

• Total voters

SuperWade2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking at getting a Clean Up Crew Package to add to my newly cycled 46 Gal tank. I thought a package would be a good starting point until I know which inverts I like and do the best job in my tank. I am looking at these 3 packages, all which are acually listed for a 30 Gal tank (30-55 for option "C"). I know a lot of people recommned making my own package, but I like the idea of these prebuilt ones for the diviristy of stuff and I'm pretty much a newbie still.

Package "A" - $62.99 + $29.99 Shipping

Scarlet Hermit Crabs 5
Mexican Turbo Snails or Margarita Snails 10
Dwarf Red Tip Hermit or Dwarf Zebra Hawaiian Hermit 20
Abalone (1) or Banded Trochus Snail (6) 1 or 6

Package "B" - $99.00 shipped

Scarlet Reef Hermits 20
Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits 20
Astraea Turbo Snails 20
Nassarius Snails 10
Cerith Snails or Queen Conch 10
Peppermint Shrimp 3
Emerald Crab 2

Package "C" - $99.99 Shipped
Scarlet Hermit Crab: 20
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 25
Nasssarius Snail: 20
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 25
Emerald Crab: 5
Coral Banded Shrimp: 1

I'm leaning towards "B" becuase I have read bad things about the CBS in Package "C", and it seems that both "B" and "C" are a better "value" as far as what you get in them for the $$$.

Thanks in Advance
SuperWade2

I recommend package A.

You have a 46 gallon tank and you are new to the hobby. Another fact is the population of scarlet reef crabs between A and B jump from only 5 to 20. In my experience, I have found scarlets to be a little more sensitive than most other hermits. Also, I find the total amount of snails in C and B too much. Stay with smaller populations and wait about two weeks between new introductions. It'll allow for everything to 'settle in' before a new introduction.

Something else you should get is a skunk cleaner shrimp. By far, they are the best natural parasite and disease control for the captive reef. They give good manicures too...LOL.

TCTFish said:
I recommend package A.

You have a 46 gallon tank and you are new to the hobby. Another fact is the population of scarlet reef crabs between A and B jump from only 5 to 20. In my experience, I have found scarlets to be a little more sensitive than most other hermits. Also, I find the total amount of snails in C and B too much. Stay with smaller populations and wait about two weeks between new introductions. It'll allow for everything to 'settle in' before a new introduction.

Something else you should get is a skunk cleaner shrimp. By far, they are the best natural parasite and disease control for the captive reef. They give good manicures too...LOL.

That being the case, what type of cleanup crew would you specifically recommend if I didn't do a package... 46 Gal with 80 lbs of LR with already a decent amount of Algea...

Sw2

Seepu said:
Are these package deals online?

Yeah, I have a VERY poor selection of LFS that are all OVERPRICED, Under-Knowledagable, and have little or no SW Stock...

I'm already resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to most of my purchases on line (and have for a majority of my stuff so far).

Sw2

10 reef hermits.
10 to 15 cerith snails
5 Astrea snails
2 Peppermint shrimp (must be Caribbean)
2 emerald crabs
1 or 2 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 Algae blenny

The above is what I personally would start with. Later, more can be added like the Nassarius snails, probably up to 20 at a time (they're pretty small), more Astrea snails (up to 5 at a time), more reef hermits, more shrimp of various kinds, more cerith snails, more crabs, maybe some reef starfish and feather dusters. Out of all those snails listed, I like the cerith snails best. They seem to be hardy and small enough to fit into rock crevices, eating algae in tight, hard to get spots. Nassarius snails are more for moving the substrate around when they come out to eat. When you accumilate enough of these guys, the substrate sometimes looks like it's boiling. They are really good at keeping the surface of the sandbed healthy. Cucumbers should be added sometime after a good amount of ditrius is in the sand bed for them to keep clean. If you are not into cucumbers, sand stars help and so do sand sifting gobies.

The best algae eater I believe are sea urchins, however, they will also eat coralline algae, so employing them depends if you want the coralline algae or not. If not, then they make very interesting creatures to have and do a darn good job at cleaning up algae.

Just to note...there are many different kinds of peppermint shrimp, but the ones that eat aptasia nibs are from the Caribbean.

I'm at the same stage as you are and am stuck looking online as well.
Yeah, I have a VERY poor selection of LFS that are all OVERPRICED, Under-Knowledagable, and have little or no SW Stock...
I agree!!

Where did you find these packages online?? I have a 55 gal tank...

"Tanks" alot
Mike

mfed said:
I'm at the same stage as you are and am stuck looking online as well.
I agree!!

Where did you find these packages online?? I have a 55 gal tank...

"Tanks" alot
Mike

liveaquaria.com <-Package "a"
etropicals.com <- Package "b" (which I've since ordered)
saltwaterfish.com <- Package "c"
marinedepotlive.com
I know there are tons of others, these were just the 3-4 I looked @

Back
Top Bottom