Help needed please, I'm a newbie to marine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kazzie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I purchased a second hand tank an aqua one tank and it came with external filter, heater and T5 lighting.

I was advised to. Lean everything out with warm water and get rid of all media due to being second hand and not replace it yet as it's not needed yet. I went to my Lfs and purchased he water the tank takes 180L this water is all ready with salt. I got it to temperature then my nightmare began......I was advised once to temperature to add the live sand, I'm sure you know what I'm going to say haha the water is opaque so cloudy you can't see a thing it's been 24 hours and still opaque I went back Lfs and they said try adding live rock and keep my filter running I bought 2kg of rock today will be buying some more over next day or so and my tank is still so very opaque Bo improvement whatsoever.

Does anyone have any advise on what to do to try and clear the water and will the live rock be ok I actually can't see it so can't really keep an eye on its progress etc. also do I need to switch on the lights?

Sorry re the long post just getting a bit worried.

Thanks

first off im pretty new to saltwater also but I would have added sand first then put a cup in bottom of tank and pour water into the cup. it makes it a lot easier on the sand and wont toss it around everywhere. also what kind of external filter? is it a canister or sump

I think its a canister pump it has 3 baskets inside and a clip on lid if that means anything to you, I am totally new but trying to learn. Common sense tells me to add sand first but the Lfs man told me to do it this way :-(

yes you have a canister witch is not the best means of filtration from my experience. I had run a canister for 3 months and it was the biggest fight with it. I had been running a sump for a while now and I would suggest if you are planning to enjoy and be in the hobby for a long time to spend the money and get a sump it will be worth every penny. if you are going to add coral you will def need one with a protein skimmer. as far as your problem live rock will def help with your prob but since why there is no life in your tank I would just wait and let it settle. should clear up within another day or to.

It will clear up just wait! Make sure your flow is not stirring it up more!

Meanwhile, run your canister filter to clean up the cloudy water. A couple/few days and it should be clear.

Thanks for the advise, I maybe will consider a sump in the future but at the moment my budget is being used up with the setting up and live rock. I will sit it out with the water it's just so frustrating I have bought some live rock and can't even see it in there I guess it's all a big learning curve and I'm on that curve already :)

that's what I did I ran my canister for a while before I moved to sump, if you do change you should leave both filters in for a mouth or so before you take out canister don't just switch them as it will take time to break the sump in

Sumps don't need to break in...all a sump is is an a way of adding additional water volume to your system where you can move equipment to and out of your tank.

Ok I will remember that, do I need to put the lights in during the day with the live rock and live sand being in the tank now?

I never ran my lights until I added fish but like I said im new to all this myself so I may not be correct

I will leave the lights off then, my Lfs advised me to remove all media and run the filter without them is this the right thing to do?

I would personally just leave it alone it will settle down...hopefully someone with a lot of experience chimes in

I don't think the live rock nor the live sand require lighting in order to survive, just make sure they're getting whatever nutrients they need.

I will leave the lights off then, my Lfs advised me to remove all media and run the filter without them is this the right thing to do?

Yes I would take the media out. It is kind of working against you during the cycle as this is the only time you want ammonia and nitrite in your system

That's good at least I'm doing the right thing with removing the media.

Back
Top Bottom