Reef Algae help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you keep your reef tanks algae free for the most part?

I feed lightly, maybe three times a week
I have a 7 hour light period
My tank is mature
My phosphate test kit show 0
My parms are stable at
Salinity 8.3
Ca 465
Mg1330
Kh 9
Temp 78

I skim my skimmer at the wettest possible and it's over sized for my 75g

I have a sump that grows excess algae, though I really should work in it

I haveing some issues with cyni and dinofllagyes but I don't know why, it's not over taking my tank but I have to scrape algae everyday and my sand bed looks splotchy and just bad and purple. I know it isn't flow cause even in places with high flow it's hanging on

The lights in your display are out producing the sump when it comes to removing nutrients.
It takes many water changes with ro/du water to solve these issues. Even in my Reef tank I have Cyanobacteria that creeps up. By siphoning it out during water changes my ats has taken over and absorbs the nutrients out of sight and out of mind.

Yeah I also use ro/di water, though my system is old and I'm suspecting that might be the source of my problems, I plan to get a new one from BRS as my original was just a cheap thing I got of eBay,

I also do a 12% water change weekly with instant ocean reef crystals,

An old system shouldn't be an issue if you have been replacing the filters, depending on water source can range from 4-6 months, and resin when it is depleted, which also varies on water source.

Right, it's just a old system like 8 years and younger me did not take care of it properly. So instead of rebuilding and buy brand cartagiages I'm just gonna go head and replace it cause I know it's a issue cause every time I top off my tank my skimmer goes crazy

Have you checked the tds coming out of the system?
I just got myself Aquatic Life's twist ro/di unit and am really loving that I replaced my older BRS model with it. Saved me a ton of space.

Back
Top Bottom