Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Do not add any medication to the display. If you have to medicate them, remove them and treat them in a different container, inverts or not. 5 degree temperature swings can certainly stress fish.
Ditto on the temperature swing. That can cause all sorts of problems.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

If its ick I recommend a fresh water dip hyposalinity (1.016ppm) in a QT even if its a 5 gal bucket with an Air stone and pC every other day. And soak food in garlic guard

Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not sure how my heater got unplugged but I got the temp back up and overfed him and he is looking much better now he only has the ich on his fins and even his fins are starting to clear up.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How bad is it for temp to rise?? My heater broke on me yesterday. Somehow it turned itself all the way up.. My water temp was 87 yesterday... I added a bucket of cold ro water to cool it down.. 4 hours later it was still at 87.. Turned heater all the way down and it was still on so I unplugged it.. This morning my temp is at 82..
Old 03-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Don't make any sudden changes. 82 is high but not lethal. Work the temps down slowly.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why would you not want the Ich taken care of? Until it is eliminated, it will stay in the tank and spread to other fish. The fact that it is "looking better" is probably due to the fact that those spots will drop off as part of the life cycle. They go into the sand and rock and multiply.

For the temp issue, bring it down slowly...more than a two degree swing per day stresses fish.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I don't agree with stressing the fish more by moving them. I feel (and I've seen this more times than not) that fish can overcome ich if they are in a low stress environment. Ich is present in the ocean. It's always there. It's not like the whole ocean is void of fish as a result......just my .02
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I don't agree with stressing the fish more by moving them. I feel (and I've seen this more times than not) that fish can overcome ich if they are in a low stress environment. Ich is present in the ocean. It's always there. It's not like the whole ocean is void of fish as a result......just my .02
Not to act as a choir for X, I agree completely. Stress and overall good environment will cure the fish as its immune system responds to a common parasite in the wild. Tangs are a classic case as stress reduces their already thin slime coat.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about the white cotton looking stuff? My unicorn tang had white cotton spreading.. But then suddenly it all disappeared. And was healing.. Then a week later it's all back.. It's just on the tip of its fins. Fish looks great otherwise moving around like its happy..
Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never dealt with it, but maybe Lymphocystis? Sounds like it can come and go. Usually from stress and/or poor water conditions. Google and see if that might be it. White cottony stuff usually makes me think fungal (its the FW side of me), but that is rare in saltwater.

Tags
ick, sick, trigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com