Heniochus OK in a reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndySmithers

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'd really like to get a Heniochus acuminatus (black and whit butterfly) in my 90 gallon softie tank. But, I get conflicting advice if they are reef safe. Some peopel swear they are fine in a reef, others (sites) say they will nip at feathr dusters and polyps. Any experience anyone?
For the record my tank has a yellow tang, mated pair of perculas, lawnmower blennie, green brittle star and varous shrimp, has been up for around 16 months and I only have shrooms, star and yellow polyps....

TIA,
Andy.

i do not believe that the heni. acuminatus is reef safe. you would be asking for trouble. However, I the heni. diphreutes is reef safe. They look similar except that the acuminatus has a longer "banner" fin and it's breast is less rounded. Color markings are the same. Remember that these are schooling fish so you should get two or three to make them happy. They need a big tank becuase they can grow quit large. Hope this helps...Lando

So, would my 90 be big enough for the reef safe heniochus? (or 2, if that's necessary). Doesn't sound like it would....

BTW, sorry for the delay in replying (didn't want to seem rude) but I've been travelling on business a lot. Thanks for the replies guys!

I don't feel a 90 is big enough for henis when they are full grown, but a couple of smal specimins might be OK until they start to grow out.

Back
Top Bottom