High nitrate question....help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great, I knew you could do it! NOW BACK TO MY REGULAR TANK MAINTENENCE!!!
img_1057661_0_095d9f6ac431ad61311037fff4c4b252.jpg

Nitrates are back up to 10ppm, I don't understand what is causing the bouncing back and forth? I am doing 2 20g water changes a week, I am cleaning the skimmer cup each time. I am not disturbing the sand by vaccum. I just can't figure it out. I make my water on Wed and Thursday for a Sunday water change and on Sunday I make my water for a Wed or Thursday water change. I check the nitrates in the new water just before I do the water change and its always zero!

well I have been out of town and have not done a water change since last Tuesday and my Nitrates are at 5ppm. Maybe just maybe i am winning the battle?

20g water changes every few days except during the holidays, I did a water chaneg aster I tested and going out of town till Sunday again so it will be intresting to see what the Nitrates are when I get back

was at the beach last week so one week with no water change and Nitrates are staying below 10ppm bouncing between 5 and 8ppm. I will keep up the 20g water changes and see how low I can get it!

bavass, I do think you got it under control. Good for you... you did not give up and now it's just a matter of keeping up the water changes.
Good show!!!!!!!!

You should use RO water. You could go to a multi-chamber sump or add a canister to the mix. The other thing is to consider using a denitrator like
Aquaripure Nitrate Filter

The first thing I did was remove the canister filter I had. I am currently using a tap water purifier which is ok does give me 0 Nitrates. I am planning on getting a RO/DI 4 chamber purifier in the near furture

bavass, I do think you got it under control. Good for you... you did not give up and now it's just a matter of keeping up the water changes.
Good show!!!!!!!!

I hope so! I did have 2 Green Chromis's die on me in the last few weeks not sure why! I think my Biocolor Psuedachroma might have had something to do with it. I have planted some macro algae in the tank and added a few red mangroves to the overflow that now has roots growing. I am planning on getting more fomr John at Reefcleaners.org as soon as he gets everything in that I want to order. Hopefully will bring it down to 0 and help keep it there!

I have done 1 25g Water change with the water from the RO/DI man this thing is nice!!! Nitrates did not drop much still at 5ppm. Tested water coming out Nitrates 0 and Phosphates 0 much better than the Tap Water Purifier I was using!

On my second week of doing 2 5g water changes and so far the Nitrates are staying around 2-5ppm. I am doing one on Sunday and one on Thursday every week! I have also started using Seachem Reef Salt instead of Coralife.

I think my live rock is leaching Nitrates they are back up to 5ppm after a 15g water change to bring down and I have Cyano covering my overflow and some on the back glass. :( I guess I will try a phosban reactor with Seachem De-Nitrate and see if that will bring them down. I have been doing 2 5g water changes a week for a month now. I did add the new light fixture about a month ago. I was hoping that was causing the algae but it would have burned off by now if it was from the lights. I might get 2 Phosban Reactors one for De-Nitrate and one for Phosphates even tho its reading 0 still may be there since I have cyano. Onething is for sure something is there. Really makes me mad I have worked my but off to get this tank running nice. Any advice?

I personally would not fret over 5 ppm. Mine vary from 0 to 5 and I`m happy with that. What are your phosphate readings?

Back
Top Bottom