High nitrate question....help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then it might just be a balance issue and over time things will balance out again. I still say get something that likes the cayno

The snails I have I thought would eat it? I have Dwarf Cerith's, Florida Certiths, and Nerite snails. To be honest I really have no idea how many Dwarf's I have. I placed and order with Reefcleaners.org and bought like 50 and then I placed an order for some macro's that I have in my display tank and one of them he didn't have in stock and he sent me a handfull of them and some other stuff. I though about getting some hermits but they will just kill the snails

I think 2-3ppm nitrates is great and you messing with it will only make it worst. Remember nothing good happens fast in a SW Tank. Give it some time........

I just want the cyano gone and coraline algae to grow! I can't get it to grow! I have added some just will not grow!

I just found a prettty bog section of sand bed that does not have any bubbles against the glass. What would cause that? Its about 8" that has no bubbles at all. Here is a bad pic I can get another one in the morning! If you cant see it? I also have some areas that are deeper than others. Seems that the deeper area is where I am getting more bubbles being released. Does this mean that in other areas I need to add sand?

845833022_Bw5Ps-M.jpg

The sand needs anarobic areas to break down the NO3 into nitrogen. You won't be able to always get the proper depth so just let the areas that your deep enough do the converting. didn't you say that you had a bi-color pseudochormis? Mine keeps my sand pretty turned up along with my pistol shrimp.
If you just started seeing the bubbles then it is just starting to work. Give it time..

Add more sandstirring CUC's. Do not stir by hand...

Last edited:
If i add hermits they won't they just eat the snails? What do you suggest I add? I probably guessing have between 75-85 snails

If i add hermits they won't they just eat the snails? What do you suggest I add? I probably guessing have between 75-85 snails
It's a stand off. You just have to add more shells and hope for the best. Hermits will always eat snails and that's just a fact of life.

What is the problem with regular crabs? I'm asking cause I don't know and I think I want to put some it my tank... Saltwater aquarium crabs: Arrow , Emerald, Scarlet Hermit, Sallylightfoot, Blueleg, Porcelain, Decorator, Anemone, Horseshoe the "Pom Pom Crab" (Lybia tessellata[SIZE=-2])[/SIZE] looks cool. As well as a few others. Also if you decide you want to get hermit crabs I would suggest these guys. "Scarlet Hermit Crabs are very hardy and requires minimal care in a well-established system. They have a voracious appetite for detritus and are particularly fond of filamentous, hair, and slime algae, as well as the dreaded cyanobacteria." .... I know you would some of your snails but if you can't handle the cyanobacteria then I would consider them... and maybe get some larger snails that wouldn't be as threatened.... also if they have enough to eat then they might not kill your snails as much.

I am thinking of installing a fuge into my sump some how its not gonna be much. I might be able to arrange my skimmer so that the chamber is smaller. See what you think.

848284842_hC76x-L.jpg

you mean doing a PWC? and using the Instant Ocean salt mix? that will be the same as most water changes (depending on what other salt you use it should be about the same)

Yep, I use Seachem Reef salt but the calcium is just not dropping. Instant Ocean has a lot less calcium. But also does not have the Mag, dkh, and some other stuff that Reef Salts have

In talking about the sand bed. I was just sitting at work doing some brain storming. Now this sand bed has been in this tank a long time. I am not really happy with it anyway. How can I tell or test to see if the sand bed is the problem? I don't even remember what sand I have I think some of it is coarse and wonder if I shouldn't start replacing it a little at a time with sugar fine or Caribsea Seaflor special grade. Does anybody know of a way to test the sand bed?

Back
Top Bottom