Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hippo tang question

I have a 75 gallon reef tank and my lfs has hippo tangs that are no more than an inch and they are the cutest little guys ever.

I know hippo tanks need 6ft long tanks from 150 gal and up but I was wondering if putting that little itty bitty guy in there would hurt him?

Because I don't want to put him in my large tank that I'm setting up next march (my birthday!) when he is that small. So he will have a larger tank to go to when he gets bigger. Suggestions?

Old 09-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Skype™ to KeeperOfFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltymj
I have a 75 gallon reef tank and my lfs has hippo tangs that are no more than an inch and they are the cutest little guys ever.

I know hippo tanks need 6ft long tanks from 150 gal and up but I was wondering if putting that little itty bitty guy in there would hurt him?

Because I don't want to put him in my large tank that I'm setting up next march (my birthday!) when he is that small. So he will have a larger tank to go to when he gets bigger. Suggestions?
So your saying your gonna put him in a smaller tank while he's small and your bigger when it's set up when he's bigger, right? If that's what your saying then that will work perfectly I would say.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep that's exactly what I'm saying put him in the small tank for now and big tank when he gets bigger l
Old 09-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Skype™ to KeeperOfFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltymj
Yep that's exactly what I'm saying put him in the small tank for now and big tank when he gets bigger l
Ok that would be a good idea but you might wanna wait til it gets closer to march
Old 09-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tangs grow very fast, and a 150 gallon 6ft tank is too small for them. They are an active 12" fish. Not only will your tank look small, but he will be cramped. I would no suggest a hippo unless you are going to be getting a tank that is at least 240 gallons and 8ft long. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm thinking maybe I'll just do a scopas tang lol
Old 09-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltymj View Post

I had a Hippo Tang for 5 yrs in my 75 gal tank he was 5"long,, and had a sweet lips tank, yellow tang, and a sailfin tang.all in the same tank....your little guy will be fine...
Old 09-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alright cool. I ended up getting the hippo and the scopas both are barely an inch and I'm just going to set that tank up when needed.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #9

You will more than likely need to upgrade within the next two years, so start saving for it! BTW if your tang is well fed and kept healthy it will reach 5" quicker than 5 years. Some people have them grow around 1" every two months which seems insane but it does happen. It is a survival strategy, the sooner you don't fit in other fishs' mouths the better. My personal opinion is to start the fish off in a proper tank size, it stresses the fish out much less than upgrading. Also, don't upgrade to the current size of the fish, save the money and get the proper one, saves a ton of money.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

LOL TANG POLICE i currently hav 2 hippos in my 29 gal... i know that is WAY TO SMALL but mine hav never grow an inch in a month, maby and inch in a year. your tank will be perfectly fine as long as they stay under about 5" which will take a while

Tags
hippo, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com