HOB and Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbratz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm currently running two HOB filters for my 55. Im moving over to a 130 next weekend. The 130 comes with a sump. My question is I no longer need the HOBs, is that correct? I know the skimmer sits in the sump, is it a good or bad idea to run two skimmers?

I'm currently running two HOB filters for my 55. Im moving over to a 130 next weekend. The 130 comes with a sump. My question is I no longer need the HOBs, is that correct? I know the skimmer sits in the sump, is it a good or bad idea to run two skimmers?

I wouldnt run hob with a sump maybe here and there if you wanna run carbon or a phosphate media but thats about all and itll need be cleaned once a week skimmer should rate gph higher than the flow through sump and only need 800 gph through sump to allow sufficient filtration by skimmer and macro

Well there's already a skimmer with the tank I'm just wondering if there's an added bonus to running two. Also does there need to be a light in the sump itself? I'm new to the whole sump deal.

Depends on what kind of skimmer comes with the tank. I'm not a big fan of HOB filters or canister filters on saltwater tanks. Actually, to be candid, I think they do more harm then good.

As far as two skimmers are concerned, I believe it is better to have one properly rated skimmer than 2 undersized skimmers running together. Protein skimmers do more than what they seem to do at first glance. And to make it more complicated, if not set up correctly on a tank, you won't get a skimmer to act as a foam fractioner efficiently. A skimmer needs to build foam to work correctly. If there is not enough "protein" in the water, it can't build a head and dump into a cup (think beer). So, two skimmers could potentially cancel eachother out and just the same, one over sized skimmer could not remove organics from the water column to yield good results.

I take the rating of a skimmer and add about 25%. So, if I had a 130 gallon tank, I would want a skimmer rated for 150-165 gallons. I tend to stock my tanks heavily. And another thing, if you are getting a used skimmer, you can bring it back to life by running it in a bucket of warm water and vinegar for a few hours.....connecting a line of tubing to the venturi and running the water through it as well.

Congratulations on the big tank. What skimmer do you have and what is coming with the tank?

Depends on what kind of skimmer comes with the tank. I'm not a big fan of HOB filters or canister filters on saltwater tanks. Actually, to be candid, I think they do more harm then good.

As far as two skimmers are concerned, I believe it is better to have one properly rated skimmer than 2 undersized skimmers running together. Protein skimmers do more than what they seem to do at first glance. And to make it more complicated, if not set up correctly on a tank, you won't get a skimmer to act as a foam fractioner efficiently. A skimmer needs to build foam to work correctly. If there is not enough "protein" in the water, it can't build a head and dump into a cup (think beer). So, two skimmers could potentially cancel eachother out and just the same, one over sized skimmer could not remove organics from the water column to yield good results.

I take the rating of a skimmer and add about 25%. So, if I had a 130 gallon tank, I would want a skimmer rated for 150-165 gallons. I tend to stock my tanks heavily. And another thing, if you are getting a used skimmer, you can bring it back to life by running it in a bucket of warm water and vinegar for a few hours.....connecting a line of tubing to the venturi and running the water through it as well.

Congratulations on the big tank. What skimmer do you have and what is coming with the tank?

Everything!!!!!
Tank
Stand
Canopy
Lights
Sump
Skimmer
Phosphate Reactor
6 stage RO/DI water maker
55 gallon drum
Sand
Live Rock